Mia Meets Bike

OK this is some next level baking. I LOOOOOOOOVE (like desert-island food love) croissants. But I have never attempted to bake any!

I have it on good authority that Mia makes excellent croissants. They are also one of my favorite foods, and basically any day that I wake up in Europe I have two for breakfast. I don't want to know where I can get great ones locally.

have you had any excellent croissants lately that you could recommend?
There is a place in PA by my sister's apartment that has really good croissants but that's not very close 🤣 I also love the croissants at farmer's markets in Vermont. Actually there is a place by sugarbush that is at the Waitsfield farmer's market on Saturdays in the summer that are really good. I forget the name of the place but I know where and when to get them. I am actively trying to find a good place closer to home, but its been difficult, which is probably the reason why I decided to try and make them myself.

I bought an assortment of cookies today from a bakery and while they were grabbing the cookies and putting them in a bag, the croissants caught my eye and due to this thread I had to buy one.

I forget how good they are. But they're better with bacon, egg & cheese.

So I decided I would do a little blog post not really related to biking but more about life in college/ what goes on in my head at school, but I should have a blog post coming up soon with a bike check, which I am really excited about!

If I had to title this blog, I would call it homesickness.

So I know most kids who go to college at some point will feel homesick, and for every person it's different. Some kids get over it quickly, and others not so much. Some people physically miss home and others miss people from home. There are also plenty of kids who love college to get away from their parents/family and enjoy their freedom.

Personally, my homesickness has been different every semester thus far in college. My first semester, I didn’t miss home much for the first few weeks because I made some friends, and I was still in my race season, so I knew that I would be seeing my parents at least three times before Thanksgiving break. That kind of changed once my race season was over and I had all those issues with my old roommate, and I started to miss my parents and physically being at home. I honestly didn’t miss my sister that much because I had gotten used to her being in college and not being around all the time. The time right before my finals week that first semester was really rough for a lot of reasons and I had a few mental breakdowns where I really missed my parents and being home. That winter break was a lot of fun and I had a chance to kind of mentally be in a better state, which leads me to semester two.

During my second semester, I actually got to go home once before my spring break. Being able to look forward to spring break, which is actually halfway through the semester unlike Thanksgiving which is after week 12, helped me a lot. I definitely missed home and my parents but my best friend, who was a senior at UConn at the time, supported me a lot and I went to her house at least once a week which helped it go by a lot faster. I also feel like because I was a freshman and trying to figure the whole college thing out, it made me miss being at home where everything was more “simple.” It also kind of sucks because UConn doesn’t really have much to do besides partying, which I’m not really into, so I would find myself missing home more because of that. But overall, the spring semester definitely went a lot better.

On to my third semester, which was the most recent semester. My homesickness actually wasn’t really there. I think that's because almost every weekend of the fall semester, I was racing, so I was never on campus over the weekends. This helps a lot with homesickness because the weekends are when there isn’t much to do, so I would wish that I was at home with stuff to do with people I wanted to be with. I also have my car on campus which makes going home and getting off campus easier. The only time I felt homesick was during the last two weeks after Thanksgiving break because I had such a fun Thanksgiving break that I missed riding and the people I was riding with. I also realized that I missed my sister a lot more during this semester because she moved out early in the summer, so I didn’t really have much of a summer with her like usual. I also think I’m realizing that we are both growing up and aren’t going to get to spend as much time together which is scary. But I joke around with my sister that @Stef replaced her over the summer because I rode with Stef a lot more, and Stef is really fun to be around.

Finally, this semester thus far. I would say my homesickness this semester has been more about missing people than missing home the most out of any semester. I feel like I’ve gotten used to college life, I’m more settled into what I need to do and how everything works, and I’ve made more friends. I’ve also grown more confident in myself and opening up to people. Now, I obviously miss biking back at home, but I’m noticing that I’m missing the people I like more than physically being at home. I actually have a story for this, which made me laugh a lot.

So I was on the phone with my parents a few weeks ago, and I mentioned how I wasn’t feeling too homesick and I was really just missing people and biking and all that stuff. Then I said to them that there were two people I was missing the most and told them to guess. Now I thought it was obvious that I was talking about them, but they both answered with Jim and Dan. I laughed so hard I literally couldn’t breathe, and I said that I meant them, but my parents didn't believe me. So I admitted that it was really Jim and Dan 😂

But honestly it really made me think about how the people I spend more time with influence my life. If something reminds me of them, the more I miss them. I’ve noticed that when I find people I enjoy spending time with that I don't need a social battery for, the more I want to be around them. I feel like some people don’t always think about the people they surround themselves with, myself included. One thing I’ve really been focusing on lately is surrounding myself with people who let me be who I am, care about me, and bring something positive into my life. I feel like I have spent too much time in my life around people that I can’t be myself around, and I’ve gotten to an age where I don’t want to do that anymore. I also want to be able to be there for the people I care about the most, which is why I’m missing home right now. I want to be able to be with the people I like and to be there for the people who have helped the most. But ... after spring break the semester really goes by fast, and I'll be able to go biking which will be fun.

Anyways if you were ever curious what goes on in my mind while I’m at school, there it is :). I’ll be home for spring break in a little less than three weeks, so that’s something I’m really looking forward to. And I should have a post very soon about what pharmacy school I plan on going to because I have to decide by March 1st and I have all my admissions decisions, so I am very excited! It will be a tough decision though because if you know me, I don't really like making decisions.

If something reminds me of them, the more I miss them.
ahhh I get it....I take this must have come up on your TV watch list
1708281710389.png

I promise you won't have to wait much longer!

I should be picking up my new bike sometime towards the end of next week, hopefully, since I'll be home for spring break, so I'll do a bike check then!

As far as pharmacy school, all I can say for now is that a decision has kind of been made, but I need to go visit the school and actually put my deposit down before I can officially say that I'm going there, so that won't be for a little over a week.

I promise you won't have to wait much longer!

I should be picking up my new bike sometime towards the end of next week, hopefully, since I'll be home for spring break, so I'll do a bike check then!

As far as pharmacy school, all I can say for now is that a decision has kind of been made, but I need to go visit the school and actually put my deposit down before I can officially say that I'm going there, so that won't be for a little over a week.
I'm too lazy to read, what bike are you getting?

Optional question: rice in the meatballs?

I'm too lazy to read, what bike are you getting?

Optional question: rice in the meatballs?
I actually haven’t said what bike I’m getting. I’ll keep that a surprise until I do my bike check!

I actually have never put rice in meatballs, but I don’t think I’m opposed to it.

Back
Top Bottom