Medium bike suggestions

Wolfjon

Ok, So my son is getting to the edge of needing a newer bike the 2011 26" is getting boarder line on size. He is just under 5'7" and still has away to go just turned 13. Beginning of summer he demoed a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt in a small and really liked it. (he was 5'5 then)
We do a lot of north Jersey riding and run an average pace. Now here's where the real question comes into play. This year we will be riding on the NICA team so ideally a low travel lighter bike would be best since its more pedaling based and will help his skill's.. However... He also want's to run the east coast Enduros and just did both the Glen Park and the Mountain Creek Races. He is not trying to be competitive with the Enduros but want enjoys the downhill part of them.
Any suggestions on what I should have him demo. Probably going to end up looking for used so that will also limit me but the more open and demos he can ride will help if we come across something worth while.
IMG_1847.JPG

Sounds like borrowed HT for XC racing and a 140-160mm travel bike for fun and enduros is a good solution. HTs build skillz.

I'll make you a hell of a deal on my Brodie. It's a Medium, and would be killer on the downhill sections for enduros. It's not the best at pedaling, but with a wider range drive train it gets the job done. You'er welcome to come try it out, or even borrow it for a bit.
20190809_113745.jpg

Consider the Orbea Rallon, I have a 2015 with the 27.5 wheels and it's not a bad all around bike. I'm rebuilding it now to donate to my buddy. But your son can demo it if interested. Lmk

What is everyone's opinion on Rocky Mountain brand as a whole? My son demoed the Thunderbolt last year and absolutely loved it. Now that we have been looking for a newer bike 2 different bike shops have a couple of different models (Thunderbolt and Instinct) at a decent price point.. Also Both shops have said they would put him on a large due to his leg length and age.

What is everyone's opinion on Rocky Mountain brand as a whole? My son demoed the Thunderbolt last year and absolutely loved it. Now that we have been looking for a newer bike 2 different bike shops have a couple of different models (Thunderbolt and Instinct) at a decent price point.. Also Both shops have said they would put him on a large due to his leg length and age.
No first-hand experience but they sure look like cool bikes and you don't see too many of them around here so it's extra cool factor. Not sure why we don't see more around here though.

Hey Wolfjon, I'm 5'7" and have a medium Felt Decree FRD I may be selling. 24 lbs, DT Swiss carbon wheels, Eagle X01, Guide Ultimate, Fox dropper. Could be a good fit for your son. 150/140mm travel- solid for Enduros.
20191012_144907.jpg

Ended up picking up the instinct this weekend up in NY. we were hoping to get a ride in yesterday but the rain killed that idea. The shop we went to was really good and gave me a good feeling about support. They did also said they loan out the Shockwiz and so as he has a couple of rides under his belt to come in and pick it up.
IMG_1903.JPG

Back
Top Bottom