MARVOKA 2023-2024

Weed whacker or hedge trimmers?

hedge trimmer.
Raked it off with a mcleod.

Which reminds me..

The hedge trimmer attachment for my Stihl Kombi was supplied by JORBA.
@Bleeder made it happen. Thanks Tom, and all who join and/or donate.
Will make good use of it!!

---

Today's Progress -

Parked at the base of the climb again. Chatted-up the guard for a bit.
He used to ride - so he was stoked that there was a volunteer group working the trails.

Trimmed from the fence line into the woods (uphill) - where there is a large log bordering the trail and a hard right turn.
Two hours and a bit. Getting hot, bugs were swarming, and i feel a little tennis elbow coming on.
Forgot my silky, as there were a few junk trees that were too big for the hedge trimmer.

I may try again Sunday

Looking down towards the powerline crossing.

IMG_5245.JPG

Awesome work @Patrick! How much more is left to do on that area?

Thank!

The nasty part is the upper switchback that goes under the powerline - that is the picture in

The connector to the fence climb is right there too. it should probably be cleared.
The overgrowth, under the trees, from where I ended, up to the merge isn't too bad.

The connector to the fence climb is right there too. it should probably be cleared.
The overgrowth, under the trees, from where I ended, up to the merge isn't too bad.

Not sure what my available time looks like. But I think I am going to mark Tuesday late afternoon to head out there and have at it. Feel free to take a break for a bit and I can chip in next week.

If it rains this weekend I may end up out there 1 of the days.

Not sure what my available time looks like. But I think I am going to mark Tuesday late afternoon to head out there and have at it. Feel free to take a break for a bit and I can chip in next week.

If it rains this weekend I may end up out there 1 of the days.
Same for me next late week, couldn't make today happen. Will message you what needs to be done.

I'm on vacation wed-sunday next week. Looks like the weather will be more conducive to working outside...

@Patrick - what needs more attention today? The rest of that powerline/switchback area or up top-top-top of the Puke Hill area?

If I don't hear back I am going with top o' Puke next.

Good session today - about 2.5 hours working down the switchbacks.

Got everything trimmed and raked. needs another pass with a string trimmer to get the stragglers.

Could use the ditchwitch to cut the low side cupping.

IMG_5280.JPG

IMG_5281.JPG

While Pat was over dreaming of witches in ditches, I was up top of Puke Hill trying to cut back some of the jungle.

I now see why Pat made a thread out of this and called it a project. The park is in need of attention all over the place. It's going to be a few weeks to get this place back in shape. But it's doable.

Lots of trees down. Just going from Cushetunk to the top of Puke Hill & back via the campground road, I would say 10-12 that are in need of a chainsaw.

Special thanks to @Steve Vai and Hilltop for donating an eBike to the MTBNJ chapter to help with this stuff. Dragging a hedge trimmer & spare battery 3.5 miles up & over and then up & over again is a lot easier with this.

I parked the bike in a semi-random spot in the jungle. Below is a view in both directions when I was done. I am going to slow & steady this in the hopes that this lasts a while.

IMG_7587.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg

For the people who have been following this thread, I am curious if anyone has gotten out to ride yet and how it feels today compared to the day a few weeks ago Jim was out there.

Pat and I have been talking behind the scenes on how best to attack the remaining areas (of which I know there are plenty). We're obviously trying to get the worst stuff ASAP.

For those of you following this thread...if you are an active JORBA member and want to be part of the Round Valley chapter, send me a DM here.

This entails no real commitment whatsoever. If you ride here, and are part of JORBA, the more people & information we have the better off we are.

I can give them the one off the shop wall if you want to replace that one at a later date?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions