Marty's Iron Gate Endurance Race - Stephens State Park 10/2!!!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the gap jump is the faster way around of the three

i always go over the rock. so i'm not familiar.
and i'm thinking the rock adds time, hence the deduction.
also a judge for style points - may as well have a pageant score.

1630440026930.png

Gene

The Dancing Machine
@Patrick are you doing the "fun ride\1 loop" and asking about the aid station? I've never done a biking race before (this might be my first to see how it is), but wonder the bears will love the aid station more than the cyclists.

Patrick

Staff member
@Patrick are you doing the "fun ride\1 loop" and asking about the aid station? I've never done a biking race before (this might be my first to see how it is), but wonder the bears will love the aid station more than the cyclists.

doing 2 loops - they won't bother with the aid station with a couple people there and all the riders constantly coming through. I wouldn't have a crate of orange halves tho ;)

I was more interested in how the course was going through there - if the aid station was in the parking lot, and the track rolling up the powerlines. (which it isn't)

You should do the race - it is a good experience. Riding casually you can stop and talk, recover, keep going, adjust the ride if you aren't feeling it.
In a race you'll be motivated to just keep going to finish. no need to blow yourself up, just see if you can ride for the whole 90-120+ minutes with minimal pauses.
Recover on the bike - find someone to chase or hold off. Good stuff. Tell stories afterwards.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
doing 2 loops - they won't bother with the aid station with a couple people there and all the riders constantly coming through. I wouldn't have a crate of orange halves tho ;)

I was more interested in how the course was going through there - if the aid station was in the parking lot, and the track rolling up the powerlines. (which it isn't)

You should do the race - it is a good experience. Riding casually you can stop and talk, recover, keep going, adjust the ride if you aren't feeling it.
In a race you'll be motivated to just keep going to finish. no need to blow yourself up, just see if you can ride for the whole 90-120+ minutes with minimal pauses.
Recover on the bike - find someone to chase or hold off. Good stuff. Tell stories afterwards.

I’m doing the loop on Saturday morning to see how it feels. I’ve done the trail so many different ways I only remember some of the trails I took the direction in.

serviceguy

What bike are you going to be riding? Ah, why do I even ask?!?!?

Patrick

Staff member
What bike are you going to be riding? Ah, why do I even ask?!?!?

Might move the AXS to my Paragon! Surprise!
Been quite some time since i rolled a 29r. Or maybe i'll put the 29+ on the fatbike....
def not racing the fatbike. that is for crawling over stuff.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did 2 laps on my 140mm travel f/r trail bike. And then this past weekend I did 3 laps on my xc race bike. The xc bike was way nicer to have. There isn’t a lot of climbing on paper but there are a ton of punchy little climbs that will wear you out if you’re trying to grind up them. Light bike with low gearing = 👍.

TPI_Elky

Did anyone on here ride today? Decided yesterday to ride the route with a friend but we picked 9 when everyone else was gathering. Tried to get out in front but they caught up near the top of the rake. Traffic got to be too much around the firetower so we cut the loop short and went back. Still did 9 miles and most of the climbing. Rain was sporadic, but starting to coat some of the rocky descents.

xc62701

Just an FYI, three of us went in from the station road lot and trimmed all the way down to the trestle today. The course will be riding well - especially for that part! There were a few mud puddles, but given the amount of rain out there it’s in great shape. We wil be getting out in the next couple of weeks to trim the overgrowth on the rest of the trails so have at it! It was good to see lots of riders out there today!

jackx

Not powerlines by the aid station. There is a new singletrack that goes right through there. It will be just off of that.
Wondering if that new Green single track is know as Marty's Trail - officially or unofficially?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just an FYI, three of us went in from the station road lot and trimmed all the way down to the trestle today. The course will be riding well - especially for that part! There were a few mud puddles, but given the amount of rain out there it’s in great shape. We wil be getting out in the next couple of weeks to trim the overgrowth on the rest of the trails so have at it! It was good to see lots of riders out there today!
Great to see you guys out there this morning.
Made the full loop with no major missed turns this time.
Much excite.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Wonder if others noticed that trailforks doesn’t have all of the trails and resorts to power line instead of single track.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Iron Gate Endurance

Hi everyone. We would first like to thank all of you for showing great enthusiasm and support for our Iron Gate Endurance mountain bike race. It was great to see the registration filling up and we were excited to put on a fun new event.

Although our event was given the green light to proceed we have hit a roadblock due to last minute concerns by the park that are preventing us from going forward with the event this year.

Iron Gate Endurance is going to have to be postponed until next year. We will be issuing refunds, including Bikereg fees to all registered participants .

Please understand that we worked very hard to put this race on and we are also very frustrated that we have to postpone it. We thank you for your understanding and we look forward to seeing you at the shop or on the trail.

The Marty’s Staff

Top Bottom