Man down...actually two...

sorry about your mishap

road cycling in nj seems to be getting too dangerous these days

it's hard to formulate away to ensure no accidents

elderly people seem to be at the root of many of the auto related cycling accidents

i had two accidents this year, one i was cut off by a limo who made a quick right turn on a short blook in hohoukus, my other accident i feel off bike using aero bars

so now my cycling of preference is

1. mtb
  2. indoor trainer
  3. road bike

also, as a multi sport i try and run and swim often

unfortunately, i love being out on the road bike. i'd be out there every day if i was a single guy

hope you feel well soon

Dude, glad to hear you're in one piece!

Did your phone bust too from the crash?

Thanks. Nope I can receive calls just not texts for some reason. I'm going to try to sort that out today - I might have to hobble over to a verizon store...

Dood - all I got is F**K you guys just used up alot of luck!. He thought he had the right of way. Kick his teeth down his throat man. While your at it break his legs so he can't drive again. On my Pan I used to have a stack of 3/4" washers right on my bars, when someone did something stupid I'd bounce one off their windshield. Better yet was rolling up next to 'em kicking their mirror off and blasting down the shoulder. Those were the days:getsome:

Yea I feel like one of my nine lives is gone...

Well at least you can add another tick under your belt for replacing another frame under warranty :) jk

Somehow I don't think this was a manufacturer's defect...

The dood will definitely be buying me a new bike after court preceedings.

Yea I feel like one of my nine lives is gone...

I know this is late, but the one thing I try to always avoid is strip malls and shopping centers of any kind. I also try to avoid downtown areas (like Mendham). It's not always possible but thought of your story is what keeps me out of those areas.

How are the knees today?

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. This morning is not feeling so swell as the knees and ankle are still very sore. Shoulders are sore now and I'm just surprised that the back/neck/head isn't sore. I thought that might be an after effect. I will be biking on the road again as I always take the usual precautions and have "never" had a problem before. This is one of those situations that just couldn't be avoided and was definitely not as bad as it could have been. I keep replaying the situation in my head and thanking god that there wasn't a car pulling out on the other side if this guy. If so then I probably would have been driven over by that car... It could have been a lot worse...

I know this is late, but the one thing I try to always avoid is strip malls and shopping centers of any kind. I also try to avoid downtown areas (like Mendham). It's not always possible but thought of your story is what keeps me out of those areas.

How are the knees today?

I actually like riding around the traffic and am very comfortable being safe and dealing with idiot drivers. I ride many times through the heart of morristown and kinda enjoy fighting through traffic to get where I need to go. This was one of those "oh sh*t" moments for sure as I sailed over the hood. I really thought the impact would hurt more but that adrenaline is good stuff! Knees are quite sore and swollen. It'll be a few more gimpy days for sure...

I don't want this post to be reason why not to be out on a road bike. You should be out there! It's a great form of cycling and a useful tool if you are trying to get stronger for other disciplines. I HATE the trainer and I'd rather have a bad day on the road bike than a good day on the trainer. Moral of the story is get out there and have fun. Just be careful of all the tools on the road...

Get well soon, Ryan.

Oh, and Luke is right, x-rays alone on knees is not quite enough...try to get the MRI done if you can.

Get well soon, Ryan.

Oh, and Luke is right, x-rays alone on knees is not quite enough...try to get the MRI done if you can.

As of now it doesn't seem like it's needed. The knees are ok except banged up. The file is open. If I have any reason to suspect something wrong I'll be going for an MRI for sure.

Oh and I forgot that when I went over the hood my left foot pulled out of the pedals but the right foot didn't. It came out though as the force of the accident ripped the metal bar off of my egg beater SL's that hold my foot in place. That alone describes the force that we hit with. Gheez...

holy sh!t ryan, i'm really glad you're ok!!

it seems like more lately, but i've had A LOT of close calls with people just pulling out in front of me. twice in the last two weeks i've had to fully lock up to avoid this exact same thing. how they can miss a 200 lb man wearing orange sitting up on a bike is beyond me.

where exactly did this happen?

holy sh!t ryan, i'm really glad you're ok!!

it seems like more lately, but i've had A LOT of close calls with people just pulling out in front of me. twice in the last two weeks i've had to fully lock up to avoid this exact same thing. how they can miss a 200 lb man wearing orange sitting up on a bike is beyond me.

where exactly did this happen?

Cedar Knolls, Ridgedale Ave by Walmart.

Glad to hear that you are _relatively_ unscathed. Sorry to hear about that incident though. I will join the others to say I was sweating while reading your description since it reminded me of similar near misses (luckily) that I have had.

I was relating some bike and car driving experiences to my wife just yesterday summarizing that most people on the road are too caught up in themselves to realize what kind of damage they can inflict on others by carelessness, inattentiveness, arrogance or other forms of negligence like drunk driving. It seems things are getting worse. Everyone driving while holding a hand held phone (gee - you'd think it were legal and not a potential source of ticket revenue for the 5-0), blasting through red lights to save a few seconds (saw a Waste Management truck do that Thursday morning, while leaning on his horn like it was his right on Rt 22 at 50+ mph), pulling out of parking lots since it's "his right of way" - I wonder why the old fool didn't realize even if it was his right of way that clipping cyclists to exercise his "right" should be attempted murder, not a moving violation.

Anyway, I hope you and your friend heal up quickly and you get your property replaced. Did you get his insurance company name and number? If not get it from the police report and file the bike claim with them (or your homeowners if you don't want to wait and can pay your deductible). I got my bike insurance money in about a week from my car wreck (pity i can say the same about my car money). Good luck.

Insurance company codes attached (for decoding police reports). (apologies for over use of paretheses :)

Attachments

• insurance_codes.pdf
    93 KB · Views: 220
I actually like riding around the traffic and am very comfortable being safe and dealing with idiot drivers. I ride many times through the heart of morristown and kinda enjoy fighting through traffic to get where I need to go.

I think many of us do. I started riding a lot when I was in New Brunswick, being an idiot in traffic. Along the lines of a famous quotes, "It's fun when it doesn't suck." It's the "suck" part - that 1% chance, or .1% chance - that makes me avoid those areas.

Also interested to hear where exactly this happened.

Glad to hear that you are _relatively_ unscathed. Sorry to hear about that incident though. I will join the others to say I was sweating while reading your description since it reminded me of similar near misses (luckily) that I have had.

I was relating some bike and car driving experiences to my wife just yesterday summarizing that most people on the road are too caught up in themselves to realize what kind of damage they can inflict on others by carelessness, inattentiveness, arrogance or other forms of negligence like drunk driving. It seems things are getting worse. Everyone driving while holding a hand held phone (gee - you'd think it were legal and not a potential source of ticket revenue for the 5-0), blasting through red lights to save a few seconds (saw a Waste Management truck do that Thursday morning, while leaning on his horn like it was his right on Rt 22 at 50+ mph), pulling out of parking lots since it's "his right of way" - I wonder why the old fool didn't realize even if it was his right of way that clipping cyclists to exercise his "right" should be attempted murder, not a moving violation.

Anyway, I hope you and your friend heal up quickly and you get your property replaced. Did you get his insurance company name and number? If not get it from the police report and file the bike claim with them (or your homeowners if you don't want to wait and can pay your deductible). I got my bike insurance money in about a week from my car wreck (pity i can say the same about my car money). Good luck.

Insurance company codes attached (for decoding police reports). (apologies for over use of paretheses :)

Thanks! When we talked to the officer he said the guy has insurance. We'll get the report this upcoming week and start figuring out what to do. Can we just file a claim with his insurance company with out going through a lawsuit? I'll have to look into the renter's insurance deal - i'm not sure if I even have a deductable...

Thanks! When we talked to the officer he said the guy has insurance. We'll get the report this upcoming week and start figuring out what to do. Can we just file a claim with his insurance company with out going through a lawsuit? I'll have to look into the renter's insurance deal - i'm not sure if I even have a deductable...

His insurance will cover it, I believe, without issue. When I got hit years ago the insurance company just wanted an estimate from the bike shop. So you might as well do that - get the estimate so when the request comes you'll be ready.

His insurance will cover it, I believe, without issue. When I got hit years ago the insurance company just wanted an estimate from the bike shop. So you might as well do that - get the estimate so when the request comes you'll be ready.

Now what estimate do I need to get? The estimate of what it would cost to replace that bike if it was new?

Now what estimate do I need to get? The estimate of what it would cost to replace that bike if it was new?

They're probably want only the things you need to replace. For instance, they may try and say something like, you don't need a new saddle, and so on. If I were you I would get:

A. Estimate on replacement items
B. Estimate on new bike
C. Cost of all clothes/gloves/helmet destroyed

Get as much paperwork ready sooner than later, that way you'll be on top of the game. I really don't think you'll have any problem getting reimbursed by the insurance company. But the guy taking your claim will need all the paperwork and can't do anything without it.

Back
Top Bottom