Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

xc62701

No… Just no. I decided to try and get out in Mahlon tonight and it was just not worth it. The snow wasn't super deep, but even riding over it a couple times it would not pack down and there was very little traction. This was on my fatty with 5" tires.

Hopefully as it warms in the next couple of days in rains a little to help pack it in and make it rideable again. I trudged through 2 miles of snow before hitting the road to get my workout in. I finished up my ride on the road… on the fat bike….

This was like the worst Tour de Lake ever. 2 horrible miles of Mahlon then the hills of Weldon and 181. It ended up being a good ride after all in a sick kind of way.

Last edited:

CraigB

Rode here today. Quads destroyed the wma fire roads but at least they gave me some dirt to ride on. Columbo was amazing down and back to heron, fresh tracks and grippy

Attachments

• 8C85061F-ACD9-4838-9C3E-B22F666AB591.jpeg
    8C85061F-ACD9-4838-9C3E-B22F666AB591.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 325

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone have a snow report, how much is left? I'm thinking of xc skiing.

I went skiing there yesterday. When I got back to my car my tracks were already bare spots in some places. The cover yesterday wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting either. Bring shitty skis if you go.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ended up skate skiing at local golf course. Things set up perfectly around 8:30, I had to stay away from south exposure but there was plenty of good snow.

Reactions: Tim

blast_off

Spoke to an ATV and dirtbiker last Saturday, the 24th, WMA side. They were riding towards the ParKNRide. I explained to them how much damage an ATV does to the singletrack. Both were apologetic and open to criticism. Most of their doubletrack damage will fix itself once the freeze/thaw cycle is done, but I did ask them to bring a shovel and fix the remaining damage. Explained "leave no trace".

The kid on the dirtbike was part of a group of ATV'ers who gave me a lift out of the woods after a mechanical last season. Not bad kids at all, just not exactly clear on erosion/water and land use access yet. If you do see these kids, a gentle "leave no trace", and "don't screw up the singletrack" reminder might be a good idea.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Surprising amount of snow still. Some spots fully covered, but most places you could ride a dry line. We did not ride the wma stuff, figured it'd be swampy. Also skipped cascade (figured snow) and stone gate (probably soaked).

Park is rideable, not soft under the snow at all. Rail trail in was pretty wet. Rode half of ghost, cleared some junk off that and also the lollipop single track around the old mine.

Overall rideable but some challenges.

goldsbar

This place just doesn't drain well compared to others. The trails you want to ride - Ghost, Cascade, Tiger's Blood, etc. - are in good shape. The connectors, not so much. Huge puddles and lots of "grease" mud on the WMA roads. Looks like some sort of heavy machinery went through these roads? Rail trail was a wet disaster by the intersection, but that might have just been a short section.

In short, Weldon Rd pond lot to Ghost-4 Birds-The Wall-Cascade-Rail Trail all mostly good (though I used the saw several times today). From that point into the WMA, ugh, not so good until Tiger's Blood, which was 95% good. Still some residual snow in a couple of spots!

SpartaBard

NJ Forest Fire Service are doing a prescribed burn today near the high school, Cascade Trail and ball fields. Not sure if it will continue into the weekend.

SpartaBard

Conditions are good, usual wet spots are wet. Trees down at beginning of each trail on the loop by the park and ride.

Eddie Z

I did a ride last night. I was on Cascade (purple), to the white trail, to the orange trail out to the rail trail. Then I finished up with a loop around the WMA. I didn't count but I'd estimate there were at least 10 or more significant tree falls that required bike dismounting. MD could use a visit from a chainsaw crew...

goldsbar

I did a ride last night. I was on Cascade (purple), to the white trail, to the orange trail out to the rail trail. Then I finished up with a loop around the WMA. I didn't count but I'd estimate there were at least 10 or more significant tree falls that required bike dismounting. MD could use a visit from a chainsaw crew...
It's still the same today...

xc62701

Has there been any work out there to improve the fallen trees? I really want to get out and ride here as it's been a while, but the downed tree reports are keeping me away.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions