loose front end

walter

Fourth Party
Ok, so after my mid morning ride today became bike check up day. Went over all the bikes as usual and then spent a little more time on one.

Since I have owned the bike, I have been having issues with the front end. On aggressive downhills, the bike flexes alot(steel rigid ht), usually during any good ride(more than 8 or so miles) I need to re-tighten the front skewer. At the Kittatinny race, I had to do it twice.

So today while looking it over, it felt loose again. I checked the bolts in the stem, the headset, the brake caliper and again re-tightened the skewer, but still if I hold the front brake and rock the bike, something feels loose. Is it possible that the hub is loose? I'm not the most tech savvy guy so I don't know.

...if I hold the front brake and rock the bike, something feels loose.

That is a classic symptom of a loose headset.

Loosen the bolts holding the stem to the steerer tube. Tighten the top cap only until that loose feeling goes away. Then tighten the stem to the steerer tube again.

Check again. Also pick up the front end and turn the bars side to side. Make sure you did not make it too tight. It should feel easy and smooth to turn the bars.

Just wondering.. In addition to a ticky headset.. Could the brake pads be knocking back and fourth inside the Caliper?

Check the hub walter, happened on my old bike (think its in that state now too :()

I thought the skewer was loose too after I hercules'd it down. good luck.

Check the hub walter, happened on my old bike (think its in that state now too :()

I thought the skewer was loose too after I hercules'd it down. good luck.

Jim, are you saying the skewer wasnt tight enough or that your hub really was loose?

If the hub were loose, you will feel it move when you grab the tire and wiggle it side to side.

Ben, this is where it starts. The wheel will flex from side to side, then when I crank it down like Norm power, then I still feel the flex front to back.

I'm not the most tech savvy guy either... Sounded like you're going through what I did. I'd trust bens response over mine! Lol

Ben, this is where it starts. The wheel will flex from side to side, then when I crank it down like Norm power, then I still feel the flex front to back.

Maybe you have two problems. :eek: While torquing on the skewer may calm the symptom, it is not the solution.

Once you tighten the skewer you should not have to touch it again. It does not get loose, it's impossible. (unless it fails :eek:)

OK, took Ben's advice and loosened the stem, then tightened the top cap. It got about a good 2 full turns before it got hand tight. How tight should it be? BTW, symptoms seem to be going away as I tighten, just need to know how tight.

OK, took Ben's advice and loosened the stem, then tightened the top cap. It got about a good 2 full turns before it got hand tight. How tight should it be? BTW, symptoms seem to be going away as I tighten, just need to know how tight.

Until you feel it's too tight to have smooth motion when turning the handlebars. You'll feel the difference.

Back
Top Bottom