Looking to get started

WhyMe

Been reading all the post on fat biking and looks like a lot of fun. If I where to pick up a fat bike, what should I be looking to spend on a entry level bike and what are some models? Thanks for the help.

A decent entry-level bike goes for around $1500-1700. The Surly Pugsley and Salsa Mukluk are probably the most popular and easiest to find. http://fat-bike.com/ has a pretty complete list of all the fatbike and frame manufacturers on their home page, as well as a "Fatbike 101" section. The MTBR Fatbike forum has lots of info, but sorting through it will make your brain explode.

Thanks SmooveP. That was around the prices I was seeing out there-more than my first car. Hahaha. I was surprised there was not sometime in the $600-$800 range. I guess it's time to start saving up.

Thanks SmooveP. That was around the prices I was seeing out there-more than my first car. Hahaha. I was surprised there was not sometime in the $600-$800 range. I guess it's time to start saving up.

both Trek and Specialized will be releasing fat bikes in late fall. Specialized will have Fatboy at a sub-$2000, and Trek will have the Farley available as bike or frameset. Stay tuned for Trek's pricing. I re-used almost everything from my 29'er except wheels/tires and crankset. SRAM has an X5 fat crankset for about $170. The wheels/tires are gonna be the big chunk. You may be able to get away for about $1000 if you have parts already.

Back
Top Bottom