looking for easy trail system near Wayne

What do you mean by "kids rides"? And where is the Jungle?

Seems easy enough to get to. What is the difficulty level?

Team Town Cycle sponsors a couple of kids rides at the Jungle every year. There's a skill clinic and rides around the parking lot based on skills. Jungle Habitat is in West Milford, NJ on the NY border. I wouldn't bring your kids there other than for the clinic.

Sterling has very limited selection for mtb trails, however, leaving from the visitors center and riding clockwise around the lake, follows the road and old woods road. It is suitable for beginners.

Last edited:
I know it is not "local" to Wayne, but Kittatiny Valley State Park is our go-to spot. A nice mix of trails and fire roads, and we easily piece together 8-10 mile rides that he can handle. Plus, there are kid activities like fishing, hiking, watching to planes take off at the airport and places to picnic. Sheridan's Lodge is on Limecrest Road and makes for a good, kid-friendly post ride meal.

We went this past Sunday and he liked it a lot. He took a few spills but didn't get hurt. The areas he could handle were limited though, although we did cover some single track every so often off the Sussex Branch Trail. Every trail in the park that we were on seemed to lead back to the parking lot areas after a few minutes ride. The airport area is closed so we couldn't cross over to the other side. Was hoping we could ride around Lake Aeroflex but couldn't figure out if that was possible.

After we packed it up around noon or so, we drove over to the airport to do some exploring. I may take him back on Lake Aeroflex in a few weeks for some trout fishing. Was looking for access to Gardners pond but it seems like it is all private property on Limecrest Road.

We then drove down to Hackettstown to check out how the Musconetcong River fared after Irene's wrath. On the way back to Rt 80 I noticed Deer Park Road so I figured we'd check it out since it was mentioned in this thread. We only drove in to the circular parking lot area before we turned around because we had to get home for dinner. Is this area suitable for biking for a soon to be 8 year old?

This was the first time I mountain biked since before my kids were born. Maybe I'm just getting old but after 2.5 hours my seat was killing me. A couple of years ago I had a new seat put on but I never rode it for more than a half hour at a time since then. Any suggestions for a new seat that provides comfort for a lengthy bike ride? I'm a big guy at 6'3 and 230 lbs.

Oh, and I came home with a tick. On my sneaker only, thankfully.

...Is this area suitable for biking for a soon to be 8 year old?
Ride the yellow Birch Trail back and forth. It's mostly straight and flat.

This was the first time I mountain biked since before my kids were born. Maybe I'm just getting old but after 2.5 hours my seat was killing me. A couple of years ago I had a new seat put on but I never rode it for more than a half hour at a time since then. Any suggestions for a new seat that provides comfort for a lengthy bike ride? I'm a big guy at 6'3 and 230 lbs.
Ride bike 3 times consecutively in a week for more than an hour each time (with quality padded shorts) and you probably won't need a new seat.

Ride the yellow Birch Trail back and forth. It's mostly straight and flat.

Ride bike 3 times consecutively in a week for more than an hour each time (with quality padded shorts) and you probably won't need a new seat.

There is a lengthy fire road out of the parking lot of Deer Park that leads to the Birch/yellow trail...most of the other trails aren't technical - I take my 9-12 year old campers there to ride.

The airport area is closed so we couldn't cross over to the other side. Was hoping we could ride around Lake Aeroflex but couldn't figure out if that was possible.

There is. If you follow the Blue trail to the southern end of the park (where it meets red) there is a maze of unmarked trails there. One of these is a small trail that heads eastward around a ridge. If followed correctly it will bring you out to to a gravel top woods road. Following this road north will take you thru an open gate past the old barn and to the pkg area and boat launch on the east side of the lake. I was there Sunday myself and took this trail around.

Easy Trail System Near Wayne

The West Essex Trail is very easy. You just park right at Verona High School and trail is right behind tennis court. Goes for a couple of miles towards Cedar Grove.

Back
Top Bottom