Looking for a fat 28mm or skinny 30mm tire.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Looking to put one of these on my new motivus Maximus frame. It looks like it will clear more than the 28mm i can currently fit, but too afraid to blindly buy tires.

These would be tubeless on H Plus Son Archetype rims. They currently have 28mm Gravel Kings on them that are right at 28mm. I tried the Specialized Roubaix Pro that I have in 30/32 and it rubs the top of the front fork, which I was kind of expecting.

Who has done something like this before?

pic of racer boi setup
1BD3F893-3C63-4065-B3D9-11A90307B22B.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking to put one of these on my new motivus Maximus frame. It looks like it will clear more than the 28mm i can currently fit, but too afraid to blindly buy tires.

These would be tubeless on H Plus Son Archetype rims. They currently have 28mm Gravel Kings on them that are right at 28mm. I tried the Specialized Roubaix Pro that I have in 30/32 and it rubs the top of the front fork, which I was kind of expecting.

Who has done something like this before?

pic of racer boi setup
View attachment 131458
Fire and buy gravel bike. Done.

i already have one doe, looking to make a "fast/light" gravel/training duty rim/tire setup. the 28mm gravel kings worked great, but the one is slowly becoming dead. if i can fit fatter rubber, i wanna fit it nahmsayin

so this is what i've found:

Strada Bianca TLR 30mm: https://www.challengetires.com/product/clincher/strada-bianca-tlr/tlr/1710?cat=road
Schwalbe Pro One 30mm: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/pro-one
Vittoria Rubino Pro 30mm: https://www.vittoria.com/us/rubino-pro-performance-race.html?___store=us_en&___from_store=us_en

I'm thinking the Rubino might be the way to go, since its cheaper and I know they are pretty bomb proof. Nobody else has 30mm tires on bicycles on this board?

I have the Roubaix Pro 30/32's you already said woodnt fyt. Also have the Pathfinders in a 38, and that's def too much rubber.
I also had the Schwalbe G-One Speed in a 35 for winter roads. The make those in a 30 too.

This is the clearance I have with 28's, which is why I think I could clear a 30
IMG_5084.jpg
IMG_5085.jpg
IMG_5086.jpg
IMG_5087.jpg

Well the 30mm Tubeless Rubino Pros that I mounted up with a tube for testing measure 28.5 on my Archetypes (17.5mm internal width). Just about the same width as my 28mm Gravel Kings. Womp Womp.

I doubt it will "stretch" over time, but next on the list, Strada Bianca or Pro One?

Well the 30mm Tubeless Rubino Pros that I mounted up with a tube for testing measure 28.5 on my Archetypes (17.5mm internal width). Just about the same width as my 28mm Gravel Kings. Womp Womp.

I doubt it will "stretch" over time, but next on the list, Strada Bianca or Pro One?
I'm late to the party and I am certainly no expert, but IMO, Vittoria run a bit narrower than the stated width. I dunno about Schwalbe, but my hallucination would be that they are wider.

@Pearl, could you fit 28 mm on your old Hellafaster? I can only get 25 mm to clear the rear brake bridge with enough room for me to feel comfy. Thinking it may be a sizing issue, my frame is a 51 cm. Have an opp to get a Motivus frame, which looks like it has more clearance out back than the Hellafaster. Just curious.

@Pearl, could you fit 28 mm on your old Hellafaster? I can only get 25 mm to clear the rear brake bridge with enough room for me to feel comfy. Thinking it may be a sizing issue, my frame is a 51 cm. Have an opp to get a Motivus frame, which looks like it has more clearance out back than the Hellafaster. Just curious.
I did, I ran 28mm Gravel Kings with Sram Rival brakes and the only issue I ran into was the rear derailer clamp. I had to get a carbon "worlds lightest front clamp" and it had maybe 1-2mm in between. I never had any issues with them rubbing at all, what brakes you running?

I did, I ran 28mm Gravel Kings with Sram Rival brakes and the only issue I ran into was the rear derailer clamp. I had to get a carbon "worlds lightest front clamp" and it had maybe 1-2mm in between. I never had any issues with them rubbing at all, what brakes you running?

Sram Force brakes. Forget which iteration. I think it's a sizing thing. Not a lot of real estate for VD to put the brake bridge closer to the seat tube on a 51 cm. I used a dremel tool to grind some material from the underside of the brakes, which gave me maybe 3 mm of clearance. If I just had more money and no expenses, easy fix. Burn the rim brake bike and spring for some of that new disc brake stuff everyone's raving about.

Why not just grow taller?

I want to pull the trigger on disc stuff, but it seems like at least $1000 to get into the game. Even doing it on the cheap, Sram 22 hydro shifters/cable shifting, new front fork, a nice wheelset... Then I gotta rerun the internal cables... oh man

How groupsets so expensive!?

Oh and I think I'm gonna try the G-One 30mm tires now.

Riveting stuff I knows...

30mm G-ones measure 28mm on this damn rim. I think I’m chasing something that is impossible.

Back
Top Bottom