Lewis Morris Conditions

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Does anyone have a Gpx file worth about 1.5-2 hours of riding here? Difficulty doesn't matter, just duration. I've only been up there once and it wasn't to ride so I'm not even familiar with parking. Thank you

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Does anyone have a Gpx file worth about 1.5-2 hours of riding here? Difficulty doesn't matter, just duration. I've only been up there once and it wasn't to ride so I'm not even familiar with parking. Thank you

it isn't that big - you'll need to ride everything forward and backwards.

68nova200

If you include patriots path then there's easily 2+ hours of riding. Park at sussex ave or speedwell park. Then ride patriots path with a loop of lewmo in the middle.

attached is my most recent ride there.

Attachments

• The_land_of_dirtcrete_ebikes_strava_lines_and_noise_canceling_headphones_.gpx
    1.1 MB · Views: 172

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
If you get out as far as Ralston (cross over 124 near the fire station) keep heading west and you’ll eventually see signs for Schiff Reservation. You can ride the fireroads up there too for more mileage. One word of caution: between Roxiticus Road and 124 the trail runs on a gravel driveway. You are not permitted to ride on it, but hiking is OK. So, lift your bike up and carry it along the driveway (about 100 yards). This way you’re technically hiking 😏 then once you’re off the driveway get back on your bike and proceed.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you get out as far as Ralston (cross over 124 near the fire station) keep heading west and you’ll eventually see signs for Schiff Reservation. You can ride the fireroads up there too for more mileage. One word of caution: between Roxiticus Road and 124 the trail runs on a gravel driveway. You are not permitted to ride on it, but hiking is OK. So, lift your bike up and carry it along the driveway (about 100 yards). This way you’re technically hiking 😏 then once you’re off the driveway get back on your bike and proceed.
What’s the logic there? I’ve always (almost) just turned around there.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
What’s the logic there? I’ve always (almost) just turned around there.
One of the homeowners there years ago had a beef about bikers and horses on “his” driveway even though it serves several homes (and carries cars and trucks with no problem 🙄). MCPC has negotiated an easement but because of his concerns it was only for hikers. The reason I often go past that section is that there’s a bit more trail on PP beyond Roxiticus. At least another 1.5 miles, not including the trail up to Schiff. In fact if you go past the Schiff signs to the stream crossing, the RoW keeps going into some fields in the hills near Peapack. The stream is often too deep to cross there so that’s where I usually turn around.

JonF

I park at the lake lot and do a general clockwise route. Though there's no official direction, be warned, if you go counter clockwise, you'll likely run into other bikers on some faster DH trails that are clearly better in the CW direction. There's a few good free routes you can d/l from Trailforks on the LewMo page.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
One of the homeowners there years ago had a beef about bikers and horses on “his” driveway even though it serves several homes (and carries cars and trucks with no problem 🙄). MCPC has negotiated an easement but because of his concerns it was only for hikers. The reason I often go past that section is that there’s a bit more trail on PP beyond Roxiticus. At least another 1.5 miles, not including the trail up to Schiff. In fact if you go past the Schiff signs to the stream crossing, the RoW keeps going into some fields in the hills near Peapack. The stream is often too deep to cross there so that’s where I usually turn around.
Yeah, I went that way a couple times... managed to cross the stream by walking over a downed tree that had fell. That section sees so little use, it was pretty overgrown. Shame some people are a-holes. That owner should move to Union County.

Zudnik

Yeah, I went that way a couple times... managed to cross the stream by walking over a downed tree that had fell. That section sees so little use, it was pretty overgrown. Shame some people are a-holes. That owner should move to Union County.
I've never quite found my way up to Schiff. I do know that further down Roxiticus there is the Mosle Preserve and then someone on the right there is a Patriots Path sign but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

What I tend to do is take Patriots into Mendham, pass the mudhole then go right up Mountain to the end and go into the woods. I later make a left at the intersection as if I'm going to Doby Rd but make the left that brings you out on Combs Hollow and right up and make a left onto Doby. Turn in by the park on the left, pass the batting cage and go up to the end of the road. Make a right and dive into teh woods on the left which eventually brings you out by Bill's Luncheonette. Then behind Bills there's another entrance which takes you down to the greenway. I know some ride the powerlines. So I've gone as far as Morristown to Horseshoe Lake. If I can figure out how to get to Dickerson Mine which I think is by there I will. You can seriously link everything together and ride for like 5-6 hours though.

goldsbar

So I've gone as far as Morristown to Horseshoe Lake. If I can figure out how to get to Dickerson Mine which I think is by there I will.
If you've made it that far, finding Dickerson is easy. It's probably under a mile. Just cross Rt 10 via Eyland and make a right on Main St. You'll see a parking area and a path on the left after about a minute riding. That path leads to Dickerson via either going through some sandpits and along the lake to the Orange trail or you could simply work your way behind the strip mall next to Marty's and go up the fire road.

pygmypony

i was planning on riding LewMo tomorrow via Patriots Path from Speedwell Park in Morristown. I've heard Whitehead road is closed to fix the bridge over the Whippany River. anyone know if Patriots Path is open @ Whitehead? Thanks!

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i was planning on riding LewMo tomorrow via Patriots Path from Speedwell Park in Morristown. I've heard Whitehead road is closed to fix the bridge over the Whippany River. anyone know if Patriots Path is open @ Whitehead? Thanks!
all trails are open. wear bright colors so hunters know you aren't a deer.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
fyi
58306F88-E342-4649-913F-867E2B75FB8D.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions