lettuce discus bulk rim tape options

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i have 5 shit road/gravel/cx wheelsets on top of 2 mtb wheelsets in the garage. it seems that every time i swap tires, i need to change rim tape. i've used stans for the longest time. i even keep the roll of tape inside so it stays extra sticky. news flash, it isn't that sticky after a while.

does nayone have any suggestions on rim tape that options that you can either buy in bulk, or some sort of hack? buying little rolls one at a time sucks, and as always, i seem to run out of tape half way through a rim.

wat wood you suggest?

thank

whatever that green stuff halters uses is awesome, never had a durability issue on the wheelsets hes built for me. im sure he'll chime in.

i use stans, no issues changing tires multiple times with cush core. If you want to go the budget route, gorilla tape works well but pretty much needs to be replaced every time you change tires and it is heavier.

I have also used the DT Swiss tape and i think the stans is better

It shouldn't be too hard to calculate the amount of tape needed for a wheelset...one 10m roll should be good for 2 x 29" wheelset (single taped) or 1 x 29" wheel set if double taped. I usually buy DT-Swiss tape (because DT Swiss rims, spokes and hubs, or Stan's or WTB. You may want to use a heat gun to activate the adhesive and make it stick to the rim, and BTW a good, goop free rim is key to the tape to stick. I've not be able to find a bulk tape supplier but I'm not a bike shop so I wouldn't need it anyway. Also avoid using tools to install the tires if possible in order to prevent tape damage, especially gravel tires should not be that difficult if you have normal density man's hand. Most of the time I don't need tools for DHR II / DHF but it really depends on the rim. Stan's tape seems more prone to tire lever damage in my experience. Also, also a change of avatar may help greatly.

Last edited:
That’s not normal. My Stan’s tape lasts years
What do you prep your wheels with? I thought mine were clean. I even thought that keeping the tape in the house instead of the hot ass garage would help…

Clean the rim really well with a paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol. Maybe keep the tape in a ziplock bag (I don’t do this but maybe it helps)? Stans tape should have a ling shelf life.

Some people use Scotch 3M 8898 strapping tape with good success. Supposed to be identical to Stans tape for Pennies on the dolla dolla bill y’all.

Some people use Scotch 3M 8898 strapping tape with good success. Supposed to be identical to Stans tape for Pennies on the dolla dolla bill y’all.
Amazon product ASIN B00C0Z1Z5Clooks like all the reviews on the jungle resellers website are for rim tape use not actual intended application. unfortunately it does not come in the size needed for any of my rims, but may work for some people. 18, 24, 36, 48, 72mm widths are available and its stupid cheap.

Amazon product ASIN B00C0Z1Z5Clooks like all the reviews on the jungle resellers website are for rim tape use not actual intended application. unfortunately it does not come in the size needed for any of my rims, but may work for some people. 18, 24, 36, 48, 72mm widths are available and its stupid cheap.
I'm pretty sure that stuff is the exact same as what Stan's uses with the exception of the color.

I've gotten the 1" width from McMaster-Carr and it worked great. Different widths is the issue as 1" was the closest to the widths I wanted I could get.

Unless I don't properly clean the rim surface I've never had an issue, outside of pushing the tape in with a tire lever.

I'm pretty sure that stuff is the exact same as what Stan's uses with the exception of the color.

I've gotten the 1" width from McMaster-Carr and it worked great. Different widths is the issue as 1" was the closest to the widths I wanted I could get.

Unless I don't properly clean the rim surface I've never had an issue, outside of pushing the tape in with a tire lever.
they make it in that off white/yellow color just like stans. i think im going to try it the next time i need to tape my rims, ill just buy something wider and trim it, the extra step is worth the savings. though im not sure when ill need to tape a rim again, i normally destroy the rim before the tape gets worn out.

maybe ill do a better job cleaning the rim, usually i just use some degreaser or something and make sure its dry, but i guess that isnt enough?

maybe ill do a better job cleaning the rim, usually i just use some degreaser or something and make sure its dry, but i guess that isnt enough?

The problem is any moisture that gets inside the wheel through the spoke holes. Ask me how I know.

The problem is any moisture that gets inside the wheel through the spoke holes. Ask me how I know.
A while ago I bought a roll of tape that was great for just taping road rims w/ tubes that's just wide enough to cover the spoke holes. I'm not home to check the width but I think 1/2"

When re-taping wheels I'll put one lap of that on there as an extra barrier specifically as it's narrow and fits in the bottom of the rim and I can pull it very tight. Since it's not wide it's easy to just align it on top of the spoke holes. Makes the top layers of full width tape much less important to get perfect.

I also started using plugs in the spoke holes to save on the double taping. Should also prevent any damage from any burr or sharp edge on the holes from tearing the tape.

Back
Top Bottom