Latest and greatest sealant?

The same tires have been on the bike for 4yrs?
I get to ride for 1-2 hours about once every 6-8 weeks. So yeah, still the same tires, actually in remarkably good shape. I just hit a 50hr mark for my fork lower service in the Fall. Someday I won't have a toddler any more, and then I'll have more free time to get on the bike. There are definitely people on this forum who ride more in a week than I ride in a year.

I don't understand all the people who just slop shit through the valve.
How do you know what the tire actually LOOKS LIKE without breaking a bead. A single bead really isn't hard to seat with even a floor pump/modicum of technique. I don't love doing it, but it's not terrible for the 2-3 times a year that I do...

This. I have a fancy injector but the small Stan’s bottle thru the valve is the ticket IMO.
Peaty's comes with a tube that fits perfectly on a Presta valve. Not a drop gets spilled, and the blast of air from the compressor blows out the valve into the tire as it inflates.

1) Multiple bikes

2) I've pulled shit out of tires that would have caught prize-winning bass.
I’ve dipped a pipe cleaner through and checked the Stan’s level that way. Saves me a few minutes in a pinch. But normally I just pop the bead.

I’ve dipped a pipe cleaner through and checked the Stan’s level that way. Saves me a few minutes in a pinch. But normally I just pop the bead.
I never thought of a pipe cleaner thanks for that. I will be doing that. Never pop the bead just add 2 oz. either in the fall or when the sealant runs on the seat tube
or forks when the tire has a leak......

I'm not sure I actually believe JimN - removing a valve core is a lot. Breaking a bead, well....
I think he drops his bike off, JimV then adds 4oz of sealant while fixing whatever wildcat has taken, and off he goes.
;)

I think taking the valve core out is quicker and easier, plus I'm usually doing it in the woods because I'm bad about checking my tires to make sure they still have sealant. It used to dry up pretty quick in the Summer because my bike lived in my car, but now that it lives in the garage, maybe it won't dry out as much?

I always squirt through the valve when topping off, it's just easier when there are a million other things in life competing for my time.

However, I do always wind up with clogged valves and running an Allen key etc. through them doesn't seem to fix it. So, when that happens the tire comes off. This is with Stans btw.

I used this for my first foray into tubeless circa 2010. I liked it, never had an issue sealing but then again I've never put a ton of miles on a MTB. When I used it all up I switched to Stans for convenience since that's what's always available locally.

I always squirt through the valve when topping off, it's just easier when there are a million other things in life competing for my time.

However, I do always wind up with clogged valves and running an Allen key etc. through them doesn't seem to fix it. So, when that happens the tire comes off. This is with Stans btw.

I used this for my first foray into tubeless circa 2010. I liked it, never had an issue sealing but then again I've never put a ton of miles on a MTB. When I used it all up I switched to Stans for convenience since that's what's always available locally.
I keep extra presta valve stems just to replace if they stop functioning. About $2.

I don't understand all the people who just slop shit through the valve.
How do you know what the tire actually LOOKS LIKE without breaking a bead. A single bead really isn't hard to seat with even a floor pump/modicum of technique. I don't love doing it, but it's not terrible for the 2-3 times a year that I do...
1 Stan's mini bottle thru the valve, sans core, because CushCore makes popping the bead a p.i.t.a.

1 Stan's mini bottle thru the valve, sans core, because CushCore makes popping the bead a p.i.t.a.

sames, even without cushcore i just top off through the valve, no reason to muck around with breaking the bead and making a mess, i even put the fresh fill into a new tire through the valve, why should i risk that mess if i have options?

Back
Top Bottom