Kush's semi-training thread

THATmanMANNY

Beast Mode

wow. Thanks for the the thorough recap and videos! Congratulations!

However, I will say that you will have an even better time descending singletrack for 7k feet vs fall line roads, for example The Whole Enchillada! You must! On the other hand, knowing you, you would probably decline the shuttles up to the top and ride up.

kush

I dust this off for special occasions

Battenkill is special, this is the 5th year I think I’ve done it. It’s also a family affair. Battenkill is the first real race of the season, and together with SSAP it forms a target for training in the offseason. So this offseason 16 week block is hugely important for the rest of the year.

To go back
2010 Cat 5, 35+ 5th place, 2 min back
2011 Cat 4 19th place, 3min back
2012 Cat 4 3rd place, sprint finish
2013 Cat 3 39th place, 3 minutes back, dropped on last hill
2014 Cat 45+ 8th Cat 3, 23rd overall, 1 minute back, 3:10.52

I won’t do 45+ again until I'm 60. There are some really fast guys who are cat1/2, and then there is pack which doesn’t want to work. Cat 3 has more octane.

I was coming into the race being 30 points lower on CTL, chronic training load, which is a measure of how much work you put in in recent weeks and kind of a proxy for how fit you are. At 171lbs, I was also 5 lbs over what I weighed last year. But, I was more rested this year than last year. Being rested is important. Last year I really peaked for SSAP rather than Bkill. So while I felt good, I was concerned about the weight. I planned to compensate by having 1 bottle and getting more at FZ, and taking nothing with me except food.

At the last minute, I realized they had junior categories still open, and my kids could race. Which meant they couldn’t feed me since they went off shortly after I did. So I took two full bottles, which lasted me easily the whole race.

Anyways, the race.
- 5-7 man break in first 2 miles, right off the gun! I never seen this. I figured it wouldn’t last. But it did. The pack didn’t want to work to bring them back. Shame. This sucked. My race is essentially over in first 2 miles.
- I was strong on all the hills, down to the last one. Leading the pack up the climbs almost always. I led the pack on downhills too.
- Tried to break with 2 other guys, but this time pack wouldn’t let it happen
- Smart on nutrition and resting up before climbs. Some people put dirt roads or descents on their cue card, I put 3 things- Climbs, When to Eat, and Feed Zones. Those are the only thing that matter.
- In the last stretch, several guys tried to go solo. Pack wasn’t working to bridge. So I worked to bridge.
- Finished in the bunch sprint.

Disappointing to let a break go, I should have been in it. Lesson learned for this category.

Happy that my climbing has improved despite being fatter. Overall very good performance, I’m happy with it. And also the offseason training was pretty solid. We’ll see what happens in SSAP.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bummer about missing the break, you probably would have been a contender. I didn't see you after the race?
If anything else Battenkill is a great road race, the time of year and conditions, as well as the layout make it legendary imo. Good to hear your still killing it. See you at SSaP. U owe me a beer:D

How'd your kids race go?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
congrats Kush. bummer that you didn't grab the break.

so 171 is fat? jeez. i must be made of butter.

kush

Bummer about missing the break, you probably would have been a contender. I didn't see you after the race?
If anything else Battenkill is a great road race, the time of year and conditions, as well as the layout make it legendary imo. Good to hear your still killing it. See you at SSaP. U owe me a beer:D

How'd your kids race go?

I raced on Sunday yo. It was a bit warmer and I think less wet. I finished 23rd - mid-chase pack, and 8th Cat 3.

congrats Kush. bummer that you didn't grab the break.

so 171 is fat? jeez. i must be made of butter.

Yea. lesson learned. Too conservative. Not my nature, I was trying to be too smart :)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you going to fly back to the eess coast next year for Bkill & SSap?

Do they race bikes on the wess coast?

kush

SSAP

9th place in the men's open. While I had a solid race, almost perfect in terms of handling, equipment and so on, I'm slightly disappointed because last year I took 3rd.

In the guys ahead of me, 4 I beat last year, and 4 were new, including Monty. My time was 3 minutes slower. Same exact bike, gearing, course.

Very similar power, but the power curve is different, and I'm 5 lbs heavier.

My training last year based on stats did longer rides at similar intensity. I also came into this peak with less CTL, meaning less cumulative training stress, albeit probably more rested.

I could mindfvck myself for a while longer but it doesn't matter. This is a solid performance, in a race that is my favorite.

My strategy was simple,

- be in first 5 down the fireroad. avoid pileups. check.
- be in first 5 up major mike. avoid clogging. check
- be on the gas for 1.5 hours after that with HR 165-175. check.
- gels and drink. check.

So all was well, I'm in right spot up and down major mike, and I was hoping to work with Utah as he's strong like a horse in these races, and always has the right line and great to talk too. It worked for a little while, and then he just pulled away slowly. So I rode by myself, feeling good, but knowing that I was a touch slower than I should be. In this race, it's only 1hr40ish that's all it takes.

This is the perfect benchmarking situation. It has to be that most of the reason is the weight. 5lbs is major actually. I've been swimming so most of it is muscle, but its' still weight. Kids, lesson for you, stop eating now before it's too late :)

Now I'm in full Ironman mode. July 27th, Ironman Whistler. 2.4mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run.

And getting ready to move to cali.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice work buddy! Its always fun running with you in this race, even if it was for a shorter time this year. This year using the scalpel and not spending a week on a boat right before the race helped me I feel. But I also dont do 1/4 of the things you do either. I dont run, swim, do tris, hockey, or road race....all I was thinking about from December to now was SSAP and a few other mountain bike races...Im always blown away by how many things you can jungle and be awesome at. :) Nice work out there man.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I rode some of the green mountain stage race climbs today, amazing stuff, saw the GMSR climb markers on the road. I am assuming this is the one you did in VT

kush

Hey Kevin, I didn't do GMSR, cause they didn't allow aero equipment for the TT stage.

I did ride 5 of 6 of the gaps in the Green Mountain range in a single day. Very good riding there. I also did the Killington Stage Race.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Hey Kevin, I didn't do GMSR, cause they didn't allow aero equipment for the TT stage.

I did ride 5 of 6 of the gaps in the Green Mountain range in a single day. Very good riding there. I also did the Killington Stage Race.

I realized that after I searched on a computer where I had previously searched on my phone and couldn't find the post. Turns out I did the final two climbs of the GMSR road race stage and then continued and dropped down to mad river glen and out and backed it. Just a tad different than out area...great stuff

Wobbegong

New job ... they want me out there, and who am I to argue. I grew up there. We bought a place in Los Gatos, looking forward to it.

Nice. Best of luck on the Relo. Im probably not too far from my next one too.... Next few years.

rlb

New job ... they want me out there, and who am I to argue. I grew up there. We bought a place in Los Gatos, looking forward to it.

My first visit to CA brought me through that town, super cool! It kinda made me want to move out there, but it's not a market that's soft on the wallet! Best of luck.

TedH

So you quit the place you took public? Lots of changes for you and you still train a ton more than me. Damn, I'm impressed. Good luck in Cali!

Top Bottom