Kuat NV vs Thule T2

ESand

Need to get a hitch rack, and was looking at the Kuat NV vs Thule T2? If you have either or both, input would be great.

The NV has the Tool Doc which is awesome if you have and when you need it, but for $100 more is it truly worth it?

T2 is time tested and nearly indestructible. Though rumor of a redesign in the works.

I have the Kuat Sherpa. Similar to the NV w/o the rack. You can't add any capacity, but if that's not an issue I'd consider it. Its a very solid rack and has worked flawlessly for the few years I've owned it.

I have the Kuat NV as well and have only a minor issue. The road salt/debris over last winter ruined both locks; lock on the the hitch and the lock for the bike cables. Kuat replaced them with no questions asked. Very easy.

Other than that.....great rack!!

thank you for the feedback. think I am going to go with the Kuat NV. The weight and the repair stand I think did it. though the stand hopefully will not need to be used, the 1st time it is needed and I didn't have it, I would be a little annoyed that I didn't get it.

Will provide a follow up once I have it and use it a few times.

For the price range you've mentioned, take a look at this as well. Awesome rack, made in USA. Several other members here on the site own one.

http://www.1upusa.com/index.html

JD

Spendy, especially when you add capacity (mine is set up for 3 bikes). But damn, these things are sweet and so damn easy to throw bikes on and off of.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 458
So I got the Kuat NV. Certainly is a stylish looking rack. Ease of installation is insanely easy and smooth. Putting the bike on is also quick and smooth.

So I got the Kuat NV. Certainly is a stylish looking rack. Ease of installation is insanely easy and smooth. Putting the bike on is also quick and smooth.

Are you still liking the NV?

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the NV in black.

I may be one of the few who is not impressed with the Thule rack. I've had mine 3 years and it's falling apart. Granted, I kept it on my car through the winters/with the salt, but the rust is awful - and I've had to replace parts due to corrosion. I'm due to replace another part (the rear wheel clamp downs) and considering just ditching the rack all together.

Last edited:
I have the Kuat NV as well and have only a minor issue. The road salt/debris over last winter ruined both locks; lock on the the hitch and the lock for the bike cables. Kuat replaced them with no questions asked. Very easy.

Other than that.....great rack!!

I bought mine (the Sherpa) in 2011. End of '12 the one lock stopped working. Opened it up and saw the clip/spring used to lock the handle was rusted. I got it moving again with some WD-40. So now I make sure it's lubed all the time (I do it maybe 3 times a year) and have not had any trouble since. But it is annoying that they would not use galvanised steel for this part, or at least some kind of rust-proofing.

I also use an additional velcro strap (that I got from REI) to help secure the front wheel to the rack.

I bought the rack because it's one of the lightest available (my car has a custom built hitch so I just wanted to be extra cautious) and because it can swivel down (when you want to get into the trunk with the bikes already mounted). Also neat to have the cam system which you can tighten to prevent the rack from swaying, and the locking pin to secure the rack to the hitch.

As owners of both the Thule and the Kuat I vote Kuat all the way!!!

+1 on the Kuat. I bought the NV Core 2 years ago. Light, easy to take on and off, great lock system with the cables stored in the trays.

I have a Sherpa and I dig it. Comes with a lock and cable, which are nice to have. I'd suggest painting the washers and Philips head screws before winter to them from rusting. Everything else is painted or ano so it holds up pretty well to the elements. Yea I know it's not the NV, but they're in the same family.

No experience with T2. Everyone I know with 1up has good things to say. MUSA is a big plus with that one.

Back
Top Bottom