Kitchen Knives

I'm a well of useless information, and a damn good cook, too :D

My Mother is Italian and my wife is Irish, and to make matters worse, she doesn't like potatoes. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

I'm a decent cook also = Irish Wife............... I cook (about) 4 nights a week.

What about recommending a good knife sharpener? Mine blows.

OK, here goes.

Based on Cooks Illustrated, which is the consumer reports of cooking,

Avoid the Furi, not reccomended. No data on the Rachel Rae

Their "favorite" is the Mac Superior Santoku, $55

The Wursthof Gran Prix (II?), Kershaw Sun Classic DM-0702 and the Global STK mentioned were all rated very highly in your price range. The global "would have been perfect if not for the narrow handle"

Comments on the granton (hollow edged) feature were that they were not truly non-stick, can be sharpened with more care, but once you sharpen into the hollows, the knife blade becomes thinner. CI prefers the standard blade.

Knife sharpeners: I use a steel on my knives each time I use them, without exception. I use the forschner steel, and I paid under $10. The steel keeps the edge straight.

I use the "Ultimate Edge" to sharpen my knives. It is oval, approximately 12 inche long with a black handle. I use this 2-3 times per year as sharpening files down the knife. If I have a knife that is really bad, i take it to the Hardware store in town and they have an excellent sharpening service for under $4 per knife.

Basically, get your knife sharp, and use the steel to keep the blade.

Last edited:
Thanks all, and thanks Shaggz for the added info. Thursday is my doctor/therapy free day so looks like Im going to go pick up something then.

Thanks again everyone for the tips and help.

ok, let me get this straight walt. you are seriously considering buying mrs. walter a knife for mothers day? are you insane?!? why not get her a vaccum and and an iron while your at it.

you're done for.

ok, let me get this straight walt. you are seriously considering buying mrs. walter a knife for mothers day? are you insane?!? why not get her a vaccum and and an iron while your at it.

you're done for.

Well, last year Mothers Day fell on our 5 year anniversary so needless to say I got hammered gift wise. She's really pretty vocal about the gifts she would like, and has only really mentioned that our current big blades are going to shit. Besides, the vacuum and iron are fairly new.:rolleyes:

Also, we are going to spend the w/e of our anniversary in AC, so thats going to be some coin. Not that I gamble but hopefully we can get a good looking hooker or tranny to make the night interesting.

the tranny

Not yet, the weekend of 5/17.

Kev didnt see your post, as it turns out my neighbor works for Bed Bath and Beyonds corporate office, her and I are just trying to coordinate a time to get to the store so she can buy the things I need.

I'll keep you guys posted on all the crazy events going on in my life:rolleyes:

Hi Jake:D

Back
Top Bottom