June 2010 Issue of "bike" at p. 44 - I call Shenanigans

MST.ESQ

BS. I know a thousand bow hunters who would go there tomorrow and remedy the deer management issues like neighboring counties have done - yet even they still maintain the ban themselves. IMHO, Joe D. saying he will "continue to keep an open mind" about mountainbikes = no way, never, don't even think about it!

Jeff: Your patience and tact is a thing of beauty. It is clear you are doing and saying all the right things. Wish I could be half as patient and reserved about this issue.

Bamboozled By Bambi

"Its about Bambi. Deer we're told, have seriously overgrazed the park and adding mountain bikes to the equation will further damage the fragile
ecosystem."

What a total joke. Let me guess.... Is hunting illegal here and that is their out? Knowing they will never be able to control the deep population?

They hunt deer at Chimney Rock once a week in the winter to control the deer population. And that is a pretty residential area.

I'd love to know the real motive for keeping bikes out..

Last edited:
Does banning bikes actually do anything? I don't think I have ever seen a cop/ranger in any park I've ever been in.

I mean...what are they going to do if one parked a distance away and rode in...give chase?

I may or may not have been thrown out of 2 parks this year by the same county cop for riding on the ROAD in Essex reservations.
They are out there

I was browsing the library in my building at school (Environment and Natural Resources) and found an entire coffee table book about how ATVs/Dirtbikes are destroying parks, noise, air pollution ect ect ect blah blah hippie...but then they threw in a chapter about how mountain bikes do the same thing.

Really the problem is hikers because they are the ones complaining! Everyone else seems to get along fine

i think "some peoples" like to keep their "playground" for themself rather sharing it with others user.so,.when "others" come and play at those "playground" they try to twart "the others" out... just an opinion of mine.:)

just like in garet mountain "bird watcher" and "hiker" has succeded to drawn mtbikers out of that park for good.

i just wish high mountain wouldn't too.

You can get a ticket, I know someone that got one. Supposedly they can take your bike, but I doubt that.

Thanks Luke.I'm sure some day I'll push the issue.I had heard that take the bike thing before.Never have believed that one myself.My father said he used to ride there years ago and said the trails were pretty good.

I know someone who was ticketed twice at SoMo. $150 each time. Still rides there. Figured if he's only caught every couple of years, it's worth the price of admission.

I miss riding Watchung and South Mountain. :cry: I figure an article in the local paper about LBS owner riding closed trails would not be the best publicity.:mad:

The reality in SOMO is that the trails that the advocacy group (predominately bikers) have not worked on are in HORRIBLE shape. The vast majority of existing trails in the reservation are not sustainable. There are drainage (major), blow down, overgrowth issues on virtually every trail in the reservation. I don't know if the hikers think having such terrible trails is some "back to nature" trip that would be sacrilege to correct or what. The longer this goes on the more I blame the residents of Milllburn, Maplewood, SO, and WO (and this is coming from a lifelong resident of Maplewood). There's a lot of money and influence in those towns within the County government and they feel entitled to having their "oasis" undisturbed by bikers. Having deer and turkeys wander into their property helps them forget that they are 5 miles from Irvington and Newark.

Back
Top Bottom