Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

Hows the BG handle compared to the Moonie? Obviously it's lighter and ish, but turning/agility? I love the idea of a beargrease but if it's not gonna feel much different than my Muk, that's a few thousand I don't have to spend. :)

The two bikes are different worlds.

The moonie was great for long rides, it excelled in deep snow, and climbed like a goat. Steel is real, and it was really comfortable. With the steel and 5" tires on 100mm rims, I hardly ever messed with air pressure, as the bike was really flexy and comfy. The tires and rims were so big, that if you weren't floating at 8psi, 4psi would just make the pain a little easier, especially when breaking trail.

The grease - As I looked up on my ride this past weekend and realized we were climbing from the railroad tracks to the top of chimney rock I knew pain was coming. But it never did. This bike does everything fast. She is light and agile, the 8lb loss has made me start to charge my riding style. I find I have to shift weight more often, especially over the front of the bike during steeper climbs. With the carbon and 4" tires on 65mm rims, tire pressure is a biggy, both for traction and comfort, as the carbon is stiff.

The weight and rolling resistance reduction is very noticeable on the longer rides. That is probably one of the largest upsides.

Either way, I am very happy with the decision. Now I have to see what I do about wheels......good thing it is Chinese New Year and the Nexties guys are off.

Last edited:
The two bikes are different worlds.

The moonie was great for long rides, it excelled in deep snow, and climbed like a goat. Steel is real, and it was really comfortable. With the steel and 5" tires on 100mm rims, I hardly ever messed with air pressure, as the bike was really flexy and comfy. The tires and rims were so big, that if you weren't floating at 8psi, 4psi would just make the pain a little easier, especially when breaking trail.

The grease - As I looked up on my ride this past weekend and realized we were climbing from the railroad tracks to the top of chimney rock I knew pain was coming. But it never did. This bike does everything fast. She is light and agile, the 8lb loss has made me start to charge my riding style. I find I have to shift weight more often, especially over the front of the bike during steeper climbs. With the carbon and 4" tires on 65mm rims, tire pressure is a biggy, both for traction and comfort, as the carbon is stiff.

The weight and rolling resistance reduction is very noticeable on the longer rides. That is probably one of the largest upsides.

Either way, I am very happy with the decision. Now I have to see what I do about wheels......good thing it is Chinese New Year and the Nexties guys are off.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Have to think a little bit, or better yet find a demo one day. That white is pretty damn sexy.:D

Thanks!

I think Brielle is having a demo at Allaire on 3/1/15 with the Salsa guys. They will also be at the Fat Fondo on 2/28.

Season is closing in and with all the work put in at creek last year you know it's only going to get better. I say let's get a mtbnj highland trip booked now.

I always feel like creek is the same no matter what by August, not that it is bad.

MTBNJ Whistler trip is the way to go.

I don't have too many pictures of the trail, as I never really stopped riding. Plus I fugured it is documented everywhere.

So the UPS man delivered my studded D4's today, Thanks Cycle Craft of Parsippany!

So after I quickly mounted them up to the icefest formerly known as Allaire I headed over before the sun set. Ran into Bizarro for a fresh snow ride, SWEET! We took it easy and broke a few miles of trail, some of the section were deep, others just right. We were able to find some ice underneath the snow, and definitely followed Sandmans tracks on a few trails.

All in all, a very solid time, then again, what ride with Bizarro is not?:hmmm:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/700109082

Anywho, still no booze/meat. I feel great!

My knee has been acting up, but I had two bigger rides this weekend and the was on my knees sanding for six hours yesterday. I can understand it's anger.

Probably will get another weekday ride in, and then look to do a 30 mile + ride Saturday, not sure where yet, need to watch the weather.

I really need to keep working on the living room, that could limit my choices....

Song of the day - Helmet - Pure

So the UPS man delivered my studded D4's today, Thanks Cycle Craft of Parsippany!

So after I quickly mounted them up to the icefest formerly known as Allaire I headed over before the sun set. Ran into Bizarro for a fresh snow ride, SWEET! We took it easy and broke a few miles of trail, some of the section were deep, others just right. We were able to find some ice underneath the snow, and definitely followed Sandmans tracks on a few trails.

All in all, a very solid time, then again, what ride with Bizarro is not?:hmmm:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/700109082

Anywho, still no booze/meat. I feel great!

My knee has been acting up, but I had two bigger rides this weekend and the was on my knees sanding for six hours yesterday. I can understand it's anger.

Probably will get another weekday ride in, and then look to do a 30 mile + ride Saturday, not sure where yet, need to watch the weather.

I really need to keep working on the living room, that could limit my choices....

Song of the day - Helmet - Pure

Nice! Fluffy snow makes it easier to ride on a fatty. Do these tires only comes in 4"?

Good job on the diet/booze/riding front.

on the Johnny front, found this. Very timely.

----

What are you sanding the floors with?

Good job on the diet/booze/riding front.

on the Johnny front, found this. Very timely.

----

What are you sanding the floors with?

Thanks! Nice find!

The whole diet has kind of become second nature now, but that took about a month, still rocking the sweets though.......slowly cutting that out.

As for sanding the floors, I am using a 6" wheel sander, it is a ton of work, but I am not looking for them to be perfect. Hopefully I have the majority of the sanding done this weekend, as I really want to do a deep clean and get the dust out of my house. It is EVERYWHERE! Even after I tarped the hallways and had the windows open.

We have funiture being delivered for the room on the 7th of next month, so I think I am going to have to keep the riding local this weekend and just get the floors done. At least it is going to rain Sunday.

My knee was killing me from riding and sanding this weekend. After a short ride Tuesday, I decided to take it easy last night and cut the rim tape and tape my rims.

I inflated the tubes to 20 psi and let them sit overnight. My knee started to feel better today, so rather than ride, I figured I would rest it until Saturday and do a longer ride, then back to sanding. So tubeless it was.

4oz of Stan's per wheel, sat the beads easy, then 40 minutes of shaking/inflating per tire.

They hold air to 22 psi (not that I would ever run that), but bubble a bit after that. I am crossing my fingers they continue to hold air (solid after and hour)

As for diet, I have been starving all week, not sure why. So I have been eating well.

Bikes - Dropped my Boxxer off a Beachwood Bikes today for a rebuild. There are some very nice enduro's in there......my goodness the new Rocky Mountains are nice!

The DH bike is pretty much rebuilt for this year, when the Boxxer is back, it will be quite fresh, any takers? ;) Wouldn't mind some extra cash for Jim to build me some Nexties........

Looking forward to the Fat Fondo next week.

Song of the Day - Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond

Last edited:
They lost all their air last night. I will pump them back out and head for a ride tonight, if that does not work, tubes go back in for tomorrow.

Are you still thinking of riddening yourself that you don't need a dh bike? Your almost out of the clear and season is upon us. Most fatty riders get rid of the x/c but never the dh bikes well unless its an upgrade. Hang in there almost out of the clear...

They lost all their air last night. I will pump them back out and head for a ride tonight, if that does not work, tubes go back in for tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure you need to cover all drainage holes, wrap the rim bed close as possible to walls.

I did not have any bubble

attachment.php

Attachments

• fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 276
Back
Top Bottom