January 2012 JORBA Rides & Trail Work

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
For 2012… we’ve scheduled the Saturday Night Ride to run earlier, wheels out at 6:00, back before 9:00.

Saturday January 7 Trail Maintenance
Preliminary plan is to continue eliminating the soft sections near the trail head. If the ground is frozen, we’ll do a ride and clip instead.
We’ll be meeting near the trail head in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot at 9:00, then walking and/or riding the short distance over to the section. Quitting time is before 12:30 and we’ll be taking a beginner paced ride around the Patriots Loop (red, white & blue trails) afterwards. RSVP if you can make it. (So we’ll have the proper amount of tools and donuts on hand.) Bring work boots (or comfy shoes), bike, water and a fair amount of humor.

Saturday January 14 Night Ride
For JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers.
Wheels out at 6:00 (or maybe even 6:15), back before 9:00pm. Fun conversational no-drop pace. The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

Detour – the bridge is still outIf you are driving from Hammonton and Nesco, the CR542 Mullica River Bridge is still closed. (Storm damage courtesy of Irene.) Allow yourself 15-20 extra minutes to follow the detour to Batsto. There's a quick and dirty detour directions and map at http://wharton.jorba.org

Last edited:
Jan 7 Trail Work

Current weather forecast looks good for this Saturday's trail work. We'll be fixing those two corners and the dip that are to the left of the trailhead's fork.
Meet in parking lot by the trailhead at 9:00. We'll quit before 12:30 and then take a short easy paced ride around the inner loops.

The cr542 Mullica River bridge is still out and if you're coming from Ham'ton, Nesco, you'll still be following the detour. (The word is that construction will start this month.)

We were out on the trails New Years weekend. Doing some clipping, moving the PBT halfway kiosk out from under the large pine hammer that was threatening to squash it, and rolling out of the way that one large log located on that uphill turn. Great to see the amount of people out there riding, taking advantage of the weekend's fine weather. :)

Last edited:
Ill more than likely be there. Been trying to recruit again but not going to well due to scheduling conflicts, so I can only speak for me right now. Planning to ride, but that may be determined for certain tomorrow. Bit of a wrist sprain riding after the estelle tm, but felling ok (at least capable) now.

Thank You

moray42, the dirt*2 couple, sj_john, and me took care of a short quick trail re-route in the sw corner that eliminates two soft unsustainable turns. The new section will develop its line in the next few weeks and result in a faster funner route. Much thanks to all for their work!

Two quick laps around the inner loop trails followed. We met WSF staffer Gil taking advantage of the weather riding his Marin, reviewing trail conditions and our work. If you are in the village, stop by the nature center to say hi. Our ride was stopped at one point by another large fallen tree, giving us another opportunity for more trail work. Good stuff! :D

Current TWC forecast for next Saturday's 1/14/12 night ride looks good. Clear skies, mid 30s. wooopwooop!

Last edited:
Well, i HAD around a significant amount of video from the post TM rides yesterday, but due to a dispute with my video editing program that is no longer the case:(. Camera works good though. Lots of footage of Kurt cruising along, the tandem team, new reroute, and the impromptu log removal. All unfortunately lost in the ether now, but oh well. Live and learn. Hopefully once i get the kinks worked out i can get some footage to show the new section of trail. Good times none the less yesterday:).

Rick,
I found your video. The trail is unmistakebly at Wharton. :D
http://youtu.be/4aE_bJMXaBQ
-KW

Looks about right:D. Think i spotted you cruising way ahead of me:)

On an unrelated note, i think i'm going to be missing the night ride this time around. Hopefully catching up with some friends i rarely get to see anymore. The one leaves for Afghanistan in a few months, and this is his last trip home before then.

Probably catch the next one if it is lined up. Around for TM as well.

Some of the Belleplain Forest crew might be riding with us tonight.
TWC forecast is clear, 34 degrees at 6:00 pm, 30 at 9:00.

Good ride with good people. Out n back to the twin bridges, then onto the red, white and blue. The recent windstorm left some new logovers to hop. And that TWC temperature forecast was a little optimistic, w/ Gatorade slushies served up during the ride. :D

Woke up early the next morning and hiked thru another large forest to the south with some folks from the SJW. If the SJW proposals are approved, we could see another sNJ riding location in 2012. woopwoop :D

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions