James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So @pearl says blogging is dead. I'm sure he's probably right. But who knows, maybe not. I'll try to do 4 of these a week. Can I keep that up? @Dominique has been pushing me to blog again the last few weeks. So here we are. I am back, until I'm not.
So whats the line so we can start an over/under? IIRC your last one died quickly.

The site is better with your writing. Blogging is better without all the numbers bs, at least fewer of them, although you are years departed from the hardcore number f'ing. Pictures are better wit out bikes and/or closeup faces in them but people insist on doing.

I think the hardest thing about continually writing is the impossibility of making it even ok all the time. It is easier with less frequency but I am always impressed at the quality of shit these professional bloggers do. For myself, it makes me not want to do it at all other than a few high points here and there, mainly because I am boring AF. Good thing you aren't.

w_b

I read all the blogs on here, but I skim over all the power numbers and CX talk. I find other people's blogs interesting, but I'm not interested in blogging myself.

sums me up nicely too. I finally got thru all the pages of @pooriggy the other week. And I mean that in a good way; just never had the time...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I cried a little inside when I read that fidodie believes in toxins :(

i do not believe in toxins - well, at least from the standpoint that you can "detox" with some shakes.
probably can't hurt to fast - wait, um, people used to not eat every day.....where did i read that ? ;)

just opening the mind to new possibilities!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yesterday

I went to spin class yesterday. I have taken up spin class at the YMCA in the past few months on the recommendation by @Dominique who tested it out maybe in January and decided it was a good way to get work in over the winter. I am finding that I actually enjoy these, and it allows me to shake things up. I figured that I would end up not really going very much after winter but with this absurdly wet spring, I seem to be finding myself there once a week or so. Last Friday's class was really good, and I got a super workout. Yesterday was probably the worst workout yet but that was on me plus the hot spin room. How about a little AC here?

In addition to shaking up my workouts, this is a great way to keep my bikes out of the rain. I don't really need to explain to you all why this is a good idea for me.

The spin instructor yesterday was new, and young. By and large, the instructors are 40+ as a general rule. Yesterday was the exception. She was probably 22 or 24. Definitely not 23 though.

@jShort

When I say #23, do you think of Michael Jordan or Don Mattingly?

The instructor was pretty much a product of the Spin Instructor Clone Factory. She was good enough, but she had no style. She needs style. If I were a spin instructor I'd wear a sombrero and introduce some mad ass style to that place.

Today

I went on a road ride. This week is mostly active recovery, but not totally. I am tired from last week so this week I will aim for keeping the wheels turning and making 7 hours minimum. This week is going to be harder to get my hours in.

This Week

School is ending which means it is a crazy week to get work & biking in. The cast this week:

Monday: Normal day, pissing rain part of the day though.
Tuesday: Kids half day of school.
Wednesday: Another half day.
Thursday: Kids off, we drive to Canada.
Friday: Wake up in Canada.
Saturday: See Friday.
Sunday: See Saturday, drive home.

I am bringing my road bike to Canada. So Fri/Sat/Sun I hope to get some KILOMETERS in. This week is all about holding serve at 7+ hours then next week I can get back to more hours. The following week is the Kingdom, which ends in Canada. Then we drive home and I go to Delaware for 3 days and drive home and then we'll be doing 70 mph to get the Stewart race off the ground.

Then I think we have 3 weeks of relative peace. I have sort of given myself this target of August 1st to get on the scale again. The first number will be a 2. I get it. But the key is what that second number shows up as.

Returning to Something

It was @i ride after 5 (OMG Glenn your handle sucks to try to remember!) who asked me a few weeks ago if I missed racing. What I told him was...not necessarily. I miss being ABLE to race, if that makes any sense. I miss being able to say that I'm going to go do that 24 mile loop because I have about an hour to ride and smashing out a 22 mile average. I don't necessarily miss racing, though that would be a natural next step if I were to return to "something". But I do miss being able to throw down when I want.

As I rode more and more last week I started to feel better. I have always responded well to more volume. And each day I felt more and more like I was turning back into a machine. Not the racing/powerful machine that I may have once almost been. But the processing machine that consumes food & drink for the sole purpose of creating power, sweat, and shit. There's something very rewarding in that feeling.

As much as I love the concept of that "something" who knows where I can & will go. Today was the first day in a while I felt "smaller" in the jersey. That was nice. I just need to get a lot smaller. Or I need to start hanging around with fatter people.

Feedback

I was going to say something about each person who gave feedback but then you guys kept going, so I am not sure that's productive because it may take all day. I had some good comments lined up but then like I said, there were too many. I do plan to address comments & feedback I just don't know if I'll in-line it routinely or maybe do it all at once. More than likely I will not reliably do either.

I will say that there was more positive feedback than I had anticipated. With that, I should just pull a JAKE and post once and leave it at that. But then I'd be like Jake, unemployed, in Greenland.

And yes, the like button does remove feedback but it also allows someone to say that yeah, I read it, now keep going. Personally I find the worst is when people are too lazy to even hit like, then they ask why I stopped blogging. I've had people say they read everything I wrote yet I never once saw a like or comment. Obviously comments are good but if all you can muster is to move your meat paw a few inches and click like, go for it.

Plus, I have wired the DB to send a small electrical shock to @jmanic's balls. Every time you hit like, he gets a little pick me up down under. Next week I'll wire Jimmy's grundle.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
An observation more than anything:

I have never had a real job with real hours and real days and real kids and all the bullshit of 90% of the population at my age. This week I am in training in Scotch Plains. And it's not the typical police training where it's a two-hour lunch and gone by 3pm. It's a legitimate training course about the mental health system with people outside law enforcement. It actually ends when it's scheduled to end. Inconceivable!

I'm out of the house at 6:30am and not back until 6pm. 5 days of this? This is insane. And I have no kids to pick up/drop off/yell at. I have a newfound respect for juggling everything (including riding, obviously), along with joint custody and all the nonsense. It's not my normal and I'm really glad it's not. I'm exhausted from this already.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather live in a tent in the woods than commute to a job in NYC.

Robin

With school wrapping up and NICA done I'm finding more time to check out things on the web/here. And this post pops up. Perfect timing.

I'll admit I'm a "like" person. Mostly because I don't have much to add and I'm not the type to write something just for the heck of it.

I hear you on the missing racing thing. I don't miss it except that now I'm not as fast (even though I was never fast) as I used to be. I've watched my fitness tank. Also I do well with structure - knowing what I need to get done on a ride and goals. Now I am JRA practicing wheelies. But I'm ok with that. Just don't expect to see me lining up at any races (unless they are gravity).

The Kalmyk

Like button.

This is a great thing. Not falling too far into a hole is important. Time will be on your side when the kids get older. Being in good form is something you will want when that time comes.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Your last thread got me to read 3 books this year, which is 2 more than I read in 2016, and we're not even done with June. Keep doing things like that. My neural plasticity thanks you.

If I were a spin instructor I'd wear chaps and introduce some ass style to that place.
We all know where your subconscious wanted to take this.

Top Bottom