Is Tatum worth a visit? (I'm local)

at100plus

I rode the paved path to Manasquan with the family but haven't had a chance to get back and do the offroad. I hope to do it very soon.

Maybe early one saturday morning, wanna meet up?

Last edited:

at100plus

I Rode Shark River one day and had some fun there too. It would be nice if they'd cut the weeds down on the one path that according to the Ranger "is on the map but not recognized as a trail"

MSH

I Rode Shark River one day and had some fun there too. It would be nice if they'd cut the weeds down on the one path that according to the Ranger "is on the map but not recognized as a trail"

Park rangers actually come to this park? I usually see them around Tatum's good looking sister, Holmdel park.

I just took a walk at Tatum earlier this week. Besides the blanket of leaves on the majority of the trails, it still seems ride-able as most of the sand is compacted. I'll let you know how it rides today.

wonderturtle

Tatum kinda blows. not really "mountain biking"

but I still go there every few months for a change of pace. but I live 5 miles away. otherwise I would never bother.

Last edited:

MSH

Tatum kinda blows. not really "mountain biking"

but I still go there every few months for a change of pace. but I like 5 miles away. otherwise I would never bother.

Yes, I remember you mentioned that awhile back. The park hasn't evolved much since then; there is at MOST probably 1/4 mile of beginner singletrack in the entire park. For people that haven't been to Tatum, this is not a park which offers noteworthy technical single track, log piles, bridges, dirt jumps, etc. Despite these perceived shortcomings, the park is also home to the Woodshallow Mountain Bike Race. :D

Based on the ride today, all the trails run nicely. I actually walked the Dogwood Hollow trail today as well. It's a shame they don't allow bikes on that one, because it has a bunch of wood bridges, tight turns and logs/roots.

I'll definitely give it another go tomorrow for kicks.

Meals

I have been there a few times over the summer, Its a good place for a workout ride if you just want to repeat hills or work on cardio . Its also a great place for kids that are just starting out.

wonderturtle

I have been there a few times over the summer, Its a good place for a workout ride if you just want to repeat hills or work on cardio . Its also a great place for kids that are just starting out.

agree. that's exactly why I go there. not for hill repeats but for cardio.

Top Bottom