If you had two tire treads to pick

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
What would they be? I only experience with Grifos. I rode once or twice on Limus tread.

If I wanted to expand to two sets of tires, what would you recommend?

What would they be? I only experience with Grifos. I rode once or twice on Limus tread.

If I wanted to expand to two sets of tires, what would you recommend?

You have probably the best tire made - Grifo. The other tire I would add would be the Clement PDX. The only two sets of tires you will ever need.

-matt

If you were starting fresh I'd say PDX and Fango. I am not a fan of the grifo. Doesn't do anything well. Does everything meh. Not enough side bite for my taste. I'm sure I'll get crap for saying this.

But that's not what you asked. What is the best complement to a grifo?
Definitely a mud tire. This season has been dry so far but think about last year.

I could ride the Clement PDX all the time. I've used it on the front in every race this year (even when I used a file tread on the rear which has been nearly every race). They are more versatile than Limus methinks but I've only rolled around the block on Limus. PDX rolls fast on hardpack, corners like a maniac and hooks up great in the mud (if you run super low pressure). The have sidewalls that are less supple than Challenge brand tires but are much more durable which should make them last longer and therefore less expensive in the long run even though they cost more. There are other mud tires that have good reviews. I think Jim V said he was going Specialized this year. Maybe he will chime in (and probably hate on the Fango too).

The Grifos I have are just about dead I think, so I may have to retire them. I put a hole in one this past Sunday, so I only have one left to mangle :p

Crap on you E! Grifos da bomb......

Pearl, I run Grifos and Limus, but like E said, Grifos leave a bit to be desired. I enjoy the Limus but I don't think they roll exceptionally great. So unless its a total mud fest then i use the grifos. I am also guilty for mixing treads front and back though.

Lots a praise for the PDX though I have no experience with them.

If you were starting fresh I'd say PDX and Fango. I am not a fan of the grifo. Doesn't do anything well. Does everything meh. Not enough side bite for my taste. I'm sure I'll get crap for saying this.

With the way you corner, I think you're allowed to say whatever you want on this topic...

Yeah, the PDX would be one of those 2 for sure. Like Eric said, it could be the only tire you'll need.

Grifos are pretty much the standard for most folks. Or Typhoons. Or Elites. Or the Vittorias. Or any other tire manufacturer that makes that same exact tire :D

-Jim.

rhino or typhoon thread on a dugast or fmb(more durable) casing. theres a reason that these are still the most used tires. they are the best . everything else is a fight for second. challenge tires are the "poor mans" dugast's.

I know the good all-arounders, but how aggressive/non-aggressive would your mud/dry tire be if you could have two?

picking tires is easy. rhino thread for mud, typhoon for all around. 2 thread designs. pick your casing -dugast or fmb. im not one for doing something because "everybody else does it". but there has to be a reason that the majority of pros ride these tires. yes there the most expensive so i dont think its a case of "pro's getting there stuff for free".

I know the good all-arounders, but how aggressive/non-aggressive would your mud/dry tire be if you could have two?

You want tires that will cover the widest range of conditions. With 2 treads: pick something that rolls fast and corners well in the dry (for me that's the Fango) and pick something that does mud really well (for me that's the PDX).

There's no substitute for a really good mud tire when it gets nasty. You definitely want something pretty damn aggressive. But the more aggressive, the slower the tire is going to be in all but the worst conditions. No doubt the Limus is good in bottomless mud--probably a tad better than the PDX--but for anything but mud it may feel like you are riding with Lego blocks glued to your wheels.

Certainly Dugast and FMBs are awesome (and Rhinos remain the gold standard for mud). A 1982 Chateu Lafite Rothschild is awesome too but there are some really good $10 wines these days. Having ONE set of tubulars is a luxury for many and expensive Dugasts or FMBs that may not last more than a season is just not in the cards for most amateurs. Challenge may be "poor man's" Dugast but they are still expensive by just about every standard, particularly when you're talking multiple sets.

Back
Top Bottom