I can't figure out if I like a Single Speed Bike?

rwix15

I recently bought a Trek Marlin 29er SS and I was looking for a low/med entry level bike without breaking the bank. So far having a 29er bike has proved to be really solid. The bike needs some upgrades in some areas, and I am told I can upgrade to a 9 speed, if needed. But, would like to focus on changing the BB7 brakes first.

So before I upgrade anything I can't figure out if I like the single speed. I took it out on the long paved path in Allaire and was very happy with it. But, I took it into the Allaire Trails and it kicked my butt. Going uphill sucked. And, if I went fast enough, the pedaling was off and took a bit to get back into sync. It felt like a lot of work.

This is my first 29er. Maybe the bike is just too heavy.
What do you think?

I would say give it a few more times out on the trails before you decide... it just might not be for you but I would give it a few times.When I started with mine it was a big difference from my geared ride but now I am hooked now.if you think something is up with the bike itself have it checked out at a LBS..

Yeah, do what Mike said, give it some time.

I have a SS and a geared bike. SS is more work, but i find SS is more fun at Allaire. As you get into better shaper you should feel better on the bike.

the ss make will make you work. it is tough when you first start out, and it will take time for your body to adapt. if you stick with it you will become a stronger and better rider. you will learn to maintain momentum, pick better lines, and work the trail for better flow. allaire and six mile are good places to start riding. what gearing are you using?

in terms of upgrades i prefer a better fork(control), and wheelset(rotational mass) as choices for initial upgrades. the bb7's are plenty to get you by for now.

Last edited:
I think BB7s are great. Your levers probably have an adjustment to dial in the leverage vs travel - find the right settings for your hand size/strength and you'll be a happy camper.

+1 on sticking with the SS for a while and see if you grow to <3 it.

What everyone said about SS ...

As for the BB7's, I'd agree you should keep them and think upgrade elsewhere, too. BB7's will never have the stopping power of hydraulics, but they are soooooooo much easier to dial in. And for a SS specifically, they're really awesome because, depending on your set up, they are one less thing to worry about when you change your gear. If you have sliding dropouts, or really any type of set-up that requires adjustment from the rear hub for proper chain tension, the BB7's are a no-brainer. When you move the wheel, it can cause your brake alignment to get out of whack a little bit. With a hydraulic, the tolerance is much tighter and you have to kind of screw around with it to get it right (unless, perhaps, if you are a shop wizard, which I certainly am not.) But with the BB7s, all I do is loosen the bolts, clamp it down tight on the rotor, and then tighten them again and - voila! - brake is perfectly aligned again. It's super easy.

I'll just repeat what has been said... Give it a few more tries. It gets more fun as you get stronger and as you get a feel for riding single speed (using momentum, more carefully picking lines, etc.). I so much prefer riding SS at places like Allaire, huber and 6mr.

But it's not for everyone....to each his own.

Btw, what's the problem with the bb7s? Bb5s are pieces of shit. But the bb7 work we'll for me.

Last edited:
BB7's are junk sell them to me and I will heip start you on your way to hydro bliss :rolleyes:

as with all bikes you are trying to maximize your weight to power ratio, unfortunately the lower end bikes are heavy and you starting out are weak(as we all were at some point).

so I would focus on weight savings and biggest bang for buck, probably wheels/tires/tubes to tubeless, maybe someone else can chime in here. changing brakes won't do much(I have shimano SLX mid range brakes on a carbon bike) and you need to focus more on not using them anyway to achieve flow/continuous momentum

to the OP: if you give up on the singlespeeding. one thing you might want to think about is selling the bike all together (getting whatever you can for it) and using that money for a new geared bike. depends on the $$$$$ of the upgrades you make to it.

at the end of the day it might not make much sense to throw a lot of money at a low end bike. at that pricepoint I cant imagine thats a frame that is worth building around (eg., getting new wheels, drive train, etc. etc.)

may be more cost effective to just sell your SS and use that money for a geared bike. something to think about.

Last edited:
It felt like a lot of work.

It is. Not sure what gears you are running, but uphill should suck. If its not hard to climb, then you will spin out way too much on the flats. I would find the gear that you can just barely make the climbs, then go one harder - so if you are running 32/20 and making the climbs, put on a 19. You may have to walk some but you will be faster overall and get stronger and eventually clean everything. I know walking sucks, but it will happen less and less each time you go out.

I dont ride allaire often so i'm not an expert on this place, but given all the punchy little steep stuff there (trail near golf course? and stuff towards the west side of the park), seems like the trick is knowing what is coming so you can carry some speed through the bottom of the climb then grind out the rest. Also have to balance your weight real good and run very low tire pressure to tackle all the sand/loose gravel sections - got to be real smooth. Takes a little practice imo.

If you dont like SS at Allaire, I cant imagine you will like it anywhere else, especially up north.

I'd keep the BB7, they are solid as solid can be when it comes to mechanicals.

Are you running tubeless yet?

I'd keep the BB7, they are solid as solid can be when it comes to mechanicals.

Are you running tubeless yet?

Not yet. But I am ready. I plan to go tubeless first on my 26" bike. I have hydros on the 26 bike, so the BB7 are not frown on but not totally happy with. I can feel the difference. I see a lot of avid hydro brakes on ebay (pre-bled-ready to go) for $80. I might do that for the Marlin.

But with the BB7s, all I do is loosen the bolts, clamp it down tight on the rotor, and then tighten them again and - voila! - brake is perfectly aligned again. It's super easy.[/QUOTE]

I'll try that. They are a little noisy and feel slightly off when using. They are TEKTRO brakes. Don't know much about them. The setup looks good on the bike, all white brakes w/ white hoses on a black frame.
Anyway, I like the bike itself, but I can see some upgrades are needed if I plan to keep it.

Not yet. But I am ready. I plan to go tubeless first on my 26" bike. I have hydros on the 26 bike, so the BB7 are not frown on but not totally happy with. I can feel the difference. I see a lot of avid hydro brakes on ebay (pre-bled-ready to go) for $80. I might do that for the Marlin.

Just be aware the hoses might be too long for your frame, in which case you'll have to cut and bleed them.

But with the BB7s... They are TEKTRO brakes. QUOTE]

that might explain the confusion. I think all of us giving props to the BB7s are talking about the AVID bb7s.

Tektro has a brake called bb7 as well? how is that not an infrigement?

yes that threw me too, chance OP thinks all mechanicals are called BB7.

Tekro mechanicals are Wallyworld specials and deserve nothing better then to be tossed into the garbage heap...

Back
Top Bottom