Home automation

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sort of home automation...
We just got a Roomba.
The i6+, which is really an i7, but cheaper and only sold on Amazon (Smile donation for JORBA).

This thing is amazing. Once it maps out all the rooms, you can create separate boundaries and set it to do specific rooms only on specific days.
Currently set to do the entire ground floor as soon as the kids leave for school 3x/week. So much less dust Everton general. The “+” version has the auto empty, so I literally do nothing other than change a bag every 4-5 weeks.

10 of 10. Wood recommend.

CommandoStyle

We just got a Roomba.
The i6+, which is really an i7, but cheaper and only sold on Amazon (Smile donation for JORBA).

This thing is amazing. Once it maps out all the rooms, you can create separate boundaries and set it to do specific rooms only on specific days.
Currently set to do the entire ground floor as soon as the kids leave for school 3x/week. So much less dust Everton general. The “+” version has the auto empty, so I literally do nothing other than change a bag every 4-5 weeks.

I got one for Christmas and I agree it is totally awesome. I like the zone feature for cleaning small areas (e.g. side door, back door, front door). If you have Alexa then set up the roomba skill and watch in amazement as it obeys your verbal commands.

rlb

We just got a Roomba.

I have the robo vac, not sure which one,but it's the second one we've owned.

First one fell victim to the dreaded "dog shit on the floor while the Roomba was running" scenario. Take it seriously.....that was not fun.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

First one fell victim to the dreaded "dog shit on the floor while the Roomba was running" scenario. Take it seriously.....that was not fun.

Literal "shit hits the fan" moment right there.

Anybody here running Home Assistant for automation?

Reactions: rlb

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yeah, our dog is good. This may change wench the puppy arrives in a few weeks though... There's an area that the robot doesn't go, so there is some separation....

ekuhn

Literal "shit hits the fan" moment right there.

Anybody here running Home Assistant for automation?

This was a classic story of just that.

We just got a Roomba.

We have the non self emptying version. The only complaint is the app. Map rooms, then doesn't load the map, then the map freezes, then it doesn't go where you ask it. Restart the app, power off and speak softly to the Roomba, hey now it will work!

However it is great at picking up dog hair.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

This was a classic story of just that.

We have the non self emptying version. The only complaint is the app. Map rooms, then doesn't load the map, then the map freezes, then it doesn't go where you ask it. Restart the app, power off and speak softly to the Roomba, hey now it will work!

However it is great at picking up dog hair.
Haven’t had any problems with the app, yet. Set the schedule and forget it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Most of my electronics are controlled thru Alexa in one way or the other.

I've been enabling Alexa on quite a few things. I haven't done any compound things like open the garage door and start the car. Although it can do both.

Also no geofencing yet.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I've been enabling Alexa on quite a few things. I haven't done any compound things like open the garage door and start the car. Although it can do both.

Also no geofencing yet.
Thinking about Home Assistant... but either raspberry pi is crazy overpriced or just out of stock.

Alexa is pretty good... but I don't think it can do multiple condition routines.

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Just installed Hubitat Elevation
I wanted to localize the controls and not go over the web.... holy fuck... its fast!

Top Bottom