Hi, new member to ride Pine Barrens

Welcome @Zinis !

Can't offer any advice for south jersey, except that I get my Batsto on once a year or so...there are some SJ locals who can point you in the right direction! Paging @slingblade_uhhuh

If you make it above I-195 happy to show some trails in central.

Welcome aboard! If you're just starting to MTB. Wells Mills County Park and Byrne State Forest offer good fun pine barren trails where you can become familiar with your bike. You can find popular pine barrens MTB singletrack at; Allaire State Park, Seaview, Estell Manor County Park, Belleplain State Forest, and Wharton State Forest. There is a trail list and park location map w/ links to TrailForks maps at https://jorba.org/parks/
Enjoy the ride! Give a holler if you have any questions.

Hi, I'm in Waretown
Wells mill park is a good place to start miles of single track and roads. Jakes Branch park in South Toms River is smaller. Cattus Island park in Toms River has single track and a main road to the bay. Winding River park in Toms River has single track, roads and some asphalt connectors but also has features and jumps. All with in a 20 min drive ( cattus island the furthest )

Last edited:
GM all,

What do you think of the Penn Branch Trail near Basto, just read it's quite long, ~18 miles?
There's 3 loops all leaving the Batsto lot. The Penn Branch (Orange) is 18miles and a full commitment. There's some bail outs, but you'd probably need to work up to that distance. The shortest Green loop is definitely doable on a hybrid bike.

GM all,

What do you think of the Penn Branch Trail near Basto, just read it's quite long, ~18 miles?
It's as long as you wanna make it (cutoff trails) but the whole trail is 19+. I rode it on a 90 degree day and would not do that again but with that said it is flat and long with some sections that get sandy and looked to me that it incorporated some old enduro trail ( offroad motorcycle ) I bet this time of year it would be fun

Of all the places I mentioned I find Wells Mills to be the most fun and challenging as the white trail is 8 miles and you could add other trails to make about 1.5 miles longer. There is a 6 mile dirt road loop which gets sandy in the summer so will provide a good workout at a good pace.

GM all,

Try the nine mile Batsto Huckleberry Trail (blue:bicycle) loop first. Its a bit more fun then the PBT and you're closer to the parking lot if you need to bail. If you find yourself easily completing the Huckleberry and wanting more, head out onto the PBT on your next visit.

If you enjoy history, there are a few forgotten pineland towns a short hop off of the PBT; Mount, Washington, Sandy Ridge. Not much left of the towns. But if you look close you'll see what's left.

It's as long as you wanna make it (cutoff trails) but the whole trail is 19+. I rode it on a 90 degree day and would not do that again but with that said it is flat and long with some sections that get sandy and looked to me that it incorporated some old enduro trail ( offroad motorcycle ) I bet this time of year it would be fun
The PBT does not, nor ever did, utilize old enduro trail. In fact during its creation, much extra effort and time was spent to ensure the PBT took nothing away from any other user group.

If any of the Batsto MTB trails looks like old enduro trail, that's because old enduro riders (now MTBrs) routed it.

Welcome aboard all good info about places to ride Jakes branch is pretty beginner friendly.

Welcome!
There are lots of trails in the Pines. I'll second the recommendation to start at Batsto and keep expanding your "loop" to add more likes until you can do the full 18. That's how I built my way up. If you want an easier ride, check out the Michael Huber Prairie Warbler Preserve, or Franklin Parker Preserve. They have several miles of double track that you can explore.
Recognizable ruins are uncommon. There's a furnace near Atsion mansion, there's the Harrisville mill ruins, the Hampton Forge, and Fries Mill... the latter two might be worth a bike ride to get to. But Harrisville and Atsion are right off the highway.

E highlands Ave Galloway
On the map where the 90 degrees turn is. Upper right side of picture

Attachments

• 4852BFB8-A53E-410C-ABB6-363C841E6BFF.png
    4852BFB8-A53E-410C-ABB6-363C841E6BFF.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom