Help, My Rheumaologist is Retiring

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Finding doctors sucks. Finding a good rheumatologist (who isn't totally checked out, doesn't have a shitty staff who hangs up the phone on you, is fairly local, won't mess with your meds if they're working, and is cool with an active lifestyle) is even harder.

My pediatric rheumatologist is retiring (I've been seeing him for almost 10 years) and I need to find a new one. I had previously gone to adult rheumatologists during the whole diagnosis/discovery phase and they don't seem to know what to do with someone who doesn't have a double hip replacement and is under the age of 80. I know there are some people on here who may have a rheum, have seen one at one point, or have family members who do. Any help would be appreciated. By all means please DM me if you don't feel comfortable posting a reply to the thread.

Pertinent info, looking for:
- Local. Had been commuting into Manhattan for visits (Hospital for Special Surgery). Would prefer as local as possible to Morris Plains, but I will travel for a phenomenal doctor.
- Takes insurance. It's been a purely out-of-pocket expense for visits up to this point and I'd like to be able to not shell out that kind of cash anymore.
- Is understanding of young and active people. Don't treat me like that schumck who put me on sulfa-based DMARDs and then shrugged when they didn't do anything except turn me yellow. Asshole. Just because I have an autoimmune arthritis doesn't mean I can't do HoH or race cross.
- Is up to date with research. When I've read more papers from the New England Journal of Medicine than my doctor, I get real sad. Help me not be real sad.

While I'm at it, I'm also looking for someone for primary care as well, local to Morris Plains. My rheum has basically also been functioning as my PCP for years (since it's the dominating factor in my life, medically-speaking), so I'm probably going to need a good ol' fashioned regular doctor, too. However, this is less important right now.

Summit Medical Group - Berkley Heights.
Dr Eric Lieberman is who I see for my RA.
Insurance accepted.
They have their own lab (also a lab in Florham Park!!)

This isn't local for you but my wife (a neuro physical therapist at NYU) swears by Dr. Natalie Azar. My wife refers patients to her often, has sent family to her, and went to Dr. Azar herself. She seems to cut through the BS which sounds like she may be a good fit for you, trying to still live your life the way you want. She's also on the Today show often.

Summit Medical Group - Berkley Heights.
Dr Eric Lieberman is who I see for my RA.
Insurance accepted.
They have their own lab (also a lab in Florham Park!!)
I've heard mixed reviews about the corporate machinery of Summit Medical Group - no complaints there?
Otherwise, if homie can keep me flare-free AND get me MadisonDan FTP numbers then I'm in.

This isn't local for you but my wife (a neuro physical therapist at NYU) swears by Dr. Natalie Azar. My wife refers patients to her often, has sent family to her, and went to Dr. Azar herself. She seems to cut through the BS which sounds like she may be a good fit for you, trying to still live your life the way you want. She's also on the Today show often.
I've seen her on Today (guilty pleasure on mornings I run late). She seems very with it...and very active on the Twitter. So she's not a celeb super-doc and will see normal schmoes like me? Any idea on what a wait time for her would be to get a first appointment - months? I had been commuting in to see my old rheum at HSS, so it's not like I'd be going from someone local to someone in Manhattan. Aside: parking at HSS can be a BITCH when the garage attendants get backed up.

So she's not a celeb super-doc and will see normal schmoes like me? Any idea on what a wait time for her would be to get a first appointment - months?
She sees normal people too. I believe my wife has said there's a little bit of a wait but not too bad. Never hurts to call and find out!

Back
Top Bottom