Help finding this hub...or preferrably its "guts"

huffster

Hoping someone more tech savvy or Google savvy than me, might be able to help me with this.

I have a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher paragon 29er. The front hub has the ever so slightest play in it. It is barely perceptible at the hub. It is amplified when grabbing the top of the wheel and moving side to side within the fork. I want it to have none!

It is a Bontrager Fisher Control Column (FCC) hub with sealed bearings. I know it is not a top of the line hub, but its treated me well so far and I'd like to avoid the expense of having a new hub laced. I might be willing to buy the whole hub just to get the axle and bearings out of it. But, if possible I'd like to just buy those parts.

The hub is pictured below. I found this on a closed auction on e-bay. Damned if I cannot find any other place on-line to get this hub or the rebuild parts. I suppose I could just pull the bearings and measure for replacements, but I'd like to have a new axle as well, in case the wear is in that component.

Any help finding the replacements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
^ This is going to be my fallback plan - just bearings. Their is some play, not grit/noise, so I'm not even going to bother with the idea of re-greasing the existing sealed bearings. Initially I'm hoping someone can help identify the axle part, too.

Depending on the design of the hub (no idea here), increasing the QR tension may remove the excess play. Try a tiny turn in, 1/16, or so.

Hoping someone more tech savvy or Google savvy than me, might be able to help me with this.

I have a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher paragon 29er. The front hub has the ever so slightest play in it. It is barely perceptible at the hub. It is amplified when grabbing the top of the wheel and moving side to side within the fork. I want it to have none!

It is a Bontrager Fisher Control Column (FCC) hub with sealed bearings. I know it is not a top of the line hub, but its treated me well so far and I'd like to avoid the expense of having a new hub laced. I might be willing to buy the whole hub just to get the axle and bearings out of it. But, if possible I'd like to just buy those parts.

The hub is pictured below. I found this on a closed auction on e-bay. Damned if I cannot find any other place on-line to get this hub or the rebuild parts. I suppose I could just pull the bearings and measure for replacements, but I'd like to have a new axle as well, in case the wear is in that component.

Any help finding the replacements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think they're rebranded formula hubs

Depending on the design of the hub (no idea here), increasing the QR tension may remove the excess play. Try a tiny turn in, 1/16, or so.
I gave this a try as well as tightening the outer 19mm caps. Still has the play. That's why I'm after the bearings/axle.

I think they're rebranded formula hubs
I'll have to research this a little and see if I find a match.

Checked the Formula hubs and no luck with a match. Unless someone chimes in with an alternative, looks like I'll be settling for the bearings only as I can pull those and take measurements.

Often times the number is right there on the bearing and can be seen without having to pull it. You should be able to see and/or measure any (unlikely) wear on the axle easily. Prolly gonna be the bearings.

They are actually perty inexpensive; get two sets. You'll cut the freight in half (relatively speaking) and be ready for next time! Any name brand will do ya.

Called Trek. Part number for axle kit is part #429211. Bearings are part #410427 (which is a standard 6001 bearing). Bearing size is 28mm x 12mm x 8mm. Axle kit is proprietary and needs to ordered through dealer. Called dealer. $29.99 + $3 shipping. As @w_b stated, the bearings are cheap and common. So, I'm ordering a couple of them first. Thanks for the various inputs.

cheapest I found on a quick search. double sealed is nice but not absolutely necessary. If it was for a jet ski pump, yes absolutely; but for your app you can get away with single, or even shielded.

Even the Timken version is only like $12.

6001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom