Hello, I am new to your site & mtn biking--helmets, absolutely necessary? always?

My sister lives on Long Beach Island, during the summer she routinely sits on her deck to people watch. Mostly it's families making their way to the beach or to dinner, but of course she gets the drunk folks coming to and from the bars.

Last summer there was a guy riding a bike, dressed all nice in his boat shoes and polo shirt riding past her house, he was holding his red solo cup, no helmet. He was moving along at a snail's pace, but you know where this is going, right?

He fell, right in front of her, the sound of his head hitting the pavement almost made her pass out. He had to be medi-vacced to the hospital. The volunteer fire fighters had to hose down the street for almost 20 minutes. Not quite sure what ever happened to the guy, hope he is ok.

Helmet always.

Please always, always, always wear a helmet. Forget the major incidents that most of us can remember in vivid detail, or worse the ones we have no recollection of at all. Even taking those out of the equation, any little spill could result in a serious brain injury if not for the helmet that we 'just scratched' when we went down in the woods or clipped that branch that 'one time'.

Every time someone gets hurt on a bike, the public already assumes it's our (the cyclist) fault.

Riding w/out a helmet paints a picture. The result of that picture can jeopardize our efforts to gain or retain access. All we need is for some blowhard in Trenton confuses indigestion for inspiration.

Please don't give'em amunition.

Anyone think we've made the point yet, and it was received?

don't make me break out a bruce willis quote - probably from blind date ...

a point that wasn't made: get a nice helmet that is comfortable, fit's properly, and you don't mind how it looks. you're more likely to wear it then. go to your local bike shop and buy one from them so that they can adjust it so it fits properly.

Lets be clear, I would be dead if it were not for climbing and biking helmets. Saved me and my kids from having to feed me with a spoon or living off my life insurance.

I've been attacked by one Lexus and one Nissan - Helmet ALWAYS :)

Second this - a Honda got me on the road and a boardwalk @ sourlands cracked a helmet on trails. Both incidents would have most likely resulted in brain injury (or worse) without a helmet

If you think it looks dorky to wear a helmet, it's the complete opposite. YOU will be the one who looks odd when you show up for a ride without one. I saw two nimrods at Six Mile last weekend who rode past our group with no helmets. Up ahead one of them fell over a branch. He's laughing like it's all a joke, until he really gets hurt. I also fell last summer and landed right on the right side of my helmet. Had an immediate bump like you couldn't believe. I have no doubt I'd at least have had many stitches and a possible concussion if it weren't for my helmet. Best of luck, Angelina.

Anyone think we've made the point yet, and it was received?

don't make me break out a bruce willis quote - probably from blind date ...

Told ya...
Walter Davis, Rocket Scientist, damn glad to meet you.

Back
Top Bottom