Hello, I am new to your site & mtn biking--helmets, absolutely necessary? always?

Angelina Louis

sorry if this is a dumb question, but when I rode... helmets were only for racing bikers.... I'm wondering if I can get used to wearing one.

Welcome to the site and to mountain biking. It's like wearing a seatbelt, you wear it just in case. Your brain is a terrible thing to waste...

I prefer these:

leather_helmet_fenris_by_baehrserker-d4gmnns.jpg

Seriously, what @mattybfat said.

Dats some style!

Helmet please ! You could be the most conservative rider on the planet, but someone comes around a corner, or a tree branch decides to give into gravity,
and, well, you know...

Edit: will also add that some odd mechanical issue could lead to a crash.

Last edited:
Ok tonight I'm into my 5th 10% beer so take this with a grain of salt, but I normally don't wear my helmet when I ride into NYC - I will wear my helmet on all other road and mtb rides thoguh. The only reason because I don't feel like carrying it with me while I'm doing stuff in the city.

Having said that I've landed on my head twice in a five year period, both times I've had a helmet crack, and who knows what would have happened of a no helmet.

So if I think logically, helmet makes sense, even if just incase. However, I seem to care more about my hair (sometimes) than my life.

Ok tonight I'm into my 5th 10% beer so take this with a grain of salt, but I normally don't wear my helmet when I ride into NYC. The only reason because I don't feel like carrying it with me while I'm doing stuff in the city.

Having said that I've landed on my head twice in a five year period, both times I've had a helmet crack, and who knows what would have happened of a no helmet.

So if I think logically, helmet makes sense, even if just incase. However, I seem to care more about my hair (sometimes) than my life.
Go to bed Jimmy! !! ;)

welcome aboard.... Any of the JORBA group rides require all riders to wear helmets....that said I have seen at least 3 very crack helmets and 3 very safe riders...when I rode a bike as a kid we never had helmets but then we were also immortal :) I would never ride now without one.

Back
Top Bottom