Harriman State Park seasonal road closures

jwave

Not quite Tour de NJ...but:

http://www.nynjtc.org/news/seasonal-road-closures-harriman-state-park

I love the riding in Harriman, but ran into an issue recently with the park police. Before this notice came out, some buddies and I were trying to connect up a ride from Glen Rock to Ringwood to Haverstraw to Jersey City and were run off Route 106 as we climbed up from 17A by the park cops. The officer, who had been able to drive the road in the reverse direction from where we were headed, insisted it was impassible due to storm damage and forbade us from continuing. We pled our case humbly and respectfully, but he raised the logic shield the second I opened my mouth. I think he was just pissed we interrupted his cigarette break in the patrol vehicle, which he was enjoying when we rolled up.

We went north to Arden Valley Road just to find that was closed too. We avoided the fuzz in climbing that road to Tiorati Circle managed to get to Haverstraw anyway (didn't have many options at that point). Some flexibility on the part of the cops would have been nice but we got none. Keep this in mind if you head up there for some riding during these "closures."

I was up there after the storm and it was closed to cars and passable by bike, but perhaps they are working on it now. A shame if it stays closed long.

Did you notice how the road surface shifted to the left before the bridge(106) ? I guess I got lucky month ago riding there with no issue,thanks for the heads up.

I rode the west side of 106 today from 17A to the top of the hill. There has been road work, patched pavement and new drainages put in. That may have been why some of you were stopped from going through. I rode past park employees with no issues. I talked with an Orange County worker and he said the road is dug up at the lake by Tiorati where the pavement was lifted and is currently being fixed. Water on both sides and no where to get through right now. They were working today so maybe it will be re-open soon.

Went all the way up today and a new pipe is in place and filled in with dirt. You can walk across. The road is still marked as closed to cars but we went through with no problems. Walkers were in there as well.

Attachments

• ditch.jpg
    ditch.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for the updates, pixy. Did you ride the loop (7 Lakes, Tiorati Brook Road, Lake Welsh Parkway) by any chance?

Thanks for the updates, pixy. Did you ride the loop (7 Lakes, Tiorati Brook Road, Lake Welsh Parkway) by any chance?

No, I have not done that loop since summer. Today, the work vehicles were all gone. It looked like they are waiting for new pavement for the repaired pipe and damage area.

I think Lake Welch is closed during the winter. They closed Perkins Dr last year as well. I'm not sure if it was because of the snow(s) or it's a regular thing.

I think Lake Welch is closed during the winter. They closed Perkins Dr last year as well. I'm not sure if it was because of the snow(s) or it's a regular thing.

They close Lake Welch, Perkins and Arden Valley to cars every winter. They don't mind bikes on those roads, but keep in mind that the roads are not maintained in winter... including no removal of snow, ice or branches.

Back
Top Bottom