Great success! Studs work.

Deeptrax

Soundz-
I made a set of ghetto studs and they work great in the snow and on frozen lakes. They track real well on packed trails and keep the front tire from wandering too much. I found info on dirtrag magazine site and added some stuff on my own.

-Take old tire 26 X 1.95 if you have one and drill every other lug on the outer tread with a 3/32 drill. I wound up with 80 on each tire. 40 per side.

-Use a self tapping #8 X 1/2 inch sheet metal and press tip in hole from inside of tire. Box of 300 Buildex Teks for less than $5-.

-Dab contact cement (rubber cement) on threads and drive home with drill driver.

-Apply 2 layers of duct tape to cover heads.

-Mount tire with a tube and inflate.

Avoid pavement as you may press the screws out and it causes the tires to track strangely.

Photo shows studs and pattern.

Attachments

• Ghettostuds.jpg
    Ghettostuds.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 296

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Soundz-
I made a set of ghetto studs and they work great in the snow and on frozen lakes. They track real well on packed trails and keep the front tire from wandering too much. I found info on dirtrag magazine site and added some stuff on my own.

-Take old tire 26 X 1.95 if you have one and drill every other lug on the outer tread with a 3/32 drill. I wound up with 80 on each tire. 40 per side.

-Use a self tapping #8 X 1/2 inch sheet metal and press tip in hole from inside of tire. Box of 300 Buildex Teks for less than $5-.

-Dab contact cement (rubber cement) on threads and drive home with drill driver.

-Apply 2 layers of duct tape to cover heads.

-Mount tire with a tube and inflate.

Avoid pavement as you may press the screws out and it causes the tires to track strangely.

Photo shows studs and pattern.

Has anyone else done this with success? I have an old set of tires that (if i get enough winter gear to last below 20 degrees) i would try this.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
How to turn your SIR9 into a tank!

I was just out at 6 mile for a few hours for my maiden voyage with the Nokian studded 29er tires.

They are SOOOO sick!!

They are way pricey but worth it. There is no way yo could have ridden at all w/o studs.

Well I hope these things are as sick as you say.

I threw on some Velocity Blunts, w/Bonty TLR rim strips, XT rear hub, Quando TX 29 front hum (yeah *cheap* wheels) and the Nokians. That stuff plus the conversion of the SIR9 to a 1X9 for winter makes it a freakin' tank weighing in at 30lbs!

'Something like 11 pounds of wheels and tires (excluding rotors) on this bad boy. It really is quite astounding spinning the wheels and comparing the "heft" to the C29SSMaxs + MKs (7 lbs total wheel & tires).

lou_b_83

I started making me a set of these last night. It took me just over 1 hour to drill the holes and put in the screws. I still have to trim the screws. UGGG. THEN I have 1 more tire to go. This is fun:D I like building stuff.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Has anyone else done this with success? I have an old set of tires that (if i get enough winter gear to last below 20 degrees) i would try this.

I have done it many times. Though I didn't use any contact cement. Mr Tuffys last longer than duct tape. Duct tape eventually allows the screw heads to poke through.

every time I have done it I realize why Nokians cost as much as they do. At an hourly rate, I have made some very expensive tires.

alex_k

I have done it many times. Though I didn't use any contact cement. Mr Tuffys last longer than duct tape. Duct tape eventually allows the screw heads to poke through.

every time I have done it I realize why Nokians cost as much as they do. At an hourly rate, I have made some very expensive tires.

100% agree with this post. Now I have a Nokian 2.3 with 300+ studs in front.

crashcanipe

Studs are too much work for me

Both the guy I ride with and I bought Nokian 29er studded tires at Modernbike.com for $78 each. Not cheap but from the way you all are talking, I'm glad I didn't try to make my own set.

We tested them out today at Stephens and I have to say they are awesome. Incredible traction - this is about the perfect conditions for them with alot of ice and only 2 inches of snow.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions