Gps???

GregE21

I have a birthday coming up and was thinking about putting a GPS on my list. Does anyone have suggestions on what to get? I don't want to break the bank either, just something that can map my rides and help me get out if trouble if I go exploring.

Best bet is to find a Garmin 705. They are on close out so you get a ton of features without breaking the bank. I have a 500. While i like the size it doesn't have a mapping feature & the antenna sucks so it's not very actuate compared to the 705. The 605 is another option is pricing is too high.

Good for navigation:

Garmin eTrex Legend Cs
Garmin 60csx

US TOPO Base Map, keep in mind the cost of the base map to purchase and install to your device.

RAM Handlebar mount works pretty good.

Another option would be a handlebar mount for your android with gmaps and mytracks apps installed. This setup works pretty good if you don't mind risking damage to your phone. They now make waterproof/shock resistant android phones, the Samsung Galaxy Xcover is one of them.

I don't use a heart rate monitor though so I can't speak to that..

Good for navigation:

Another option would be a handlebar mount for your android with gmaps and mytracks apps installed. This setup works pretty good if you don't mind risking damage to your phone. They now make waterproof/shock resistant android phones, the Samsung Galaxy Xcover is one of them.
I use an Otter Box Defender phone case for my Droid Incredible 2 and my wife has one for her iPhone 4 and they are bulletproof if you decide to go that route. They're also waterproof.

Unfortunately my company provided me with a low end model blackberry, so the phone options aren't an option. Looked into the Garmin 705 and that seems to be a good fit at the price.

They now make waterproof/shock resistant android phones, the Samsung Galaxy Xcover is one of them.

Casio Gz'One Commando from Verizon is an awesome waterproof/shock resistant phone as well, and I believe it is on sale for $99 right now. I've been using it since May and it's withstood dirt, mud, water, and a 30 foot slide across asphalt.

Back
Top Bottom