Got the bike. Now I need a bike rack.

When I picked up my new Salsa TJ a few days ago, Jason noticed that I had a Saris Bones bike rack on my VW GTI and shared that he didn't think it was suited for the car. I'd had it for a few years and I guess never checked when I got the VW. Turns out he was right.

I recognize that roof and hitch options are more secure and less likely to scratch the car but (a) I don't want to deal with a roof rack and (b) am not prepared for another $700 investment for a hitch and rack.

Here are three trunk mount bike racks that fit my car: Yakima HangOut 2, Saris Bones EX, or Thule Passage. Links below.

I will likely be hauling either one mountain bike or up to three road bikes.

If you have any experience with any of the above please share. Tx in advance.

Have any of you used a Yon a 5 door VW GTI? If so, please share your thoughts.

If you use one or both of these on a different car I'd welcome your feedback as well.

Here are the contenders.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Thule, Saris, and Yakima show these racks as compatible with my car on their respective website. Other models from the same manufacturers are not compatible.

This is true, as long as it doesn't have the little wing on it.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Roof, hitch, or inside. No trunk mount.

1588186026935.png

iman29

I hear what youre saying about hitch and rack cost, but if youre patient and do some good searching online you can find some stuff used for a good deal like I did on this site, or on Facebook etc...

the rack will be more expensive than the trailer hitch and if you need to put 3 bikes then much less chance of forgetting the bikes are up top in a Mcdonalds drive thru.

I have an SUV and I invested in the trailer hitch and rack (used) for when I take the kids out, but when its just me I fold the seats down and put the bike inside.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Also, I hate to say it, but I literally threw a MK6 GTI hitch in the garbage over the weekend. I had it for sale on FB for almost a month with no hits.

Wolfjon

I have a thule Fit kit for Volkswagen labeled 853-2210.. I tried google but came up with nothing.. if they fit your VW you can have them. I have a set of old crossbar I can sell you cheap you would just need the traverse Foot pack.

Also, I hate to say it, but I literally threw a MK6 GTI hitch in the garbage over the weekend. I had it for sale on FB for almost a month with no hits.
I have been trying to sell really nice guitar equipment. Same thing. Virtually no action in the market.

But I did sell an old Giant road bike and Schwinn hybrid, which paid for most of the new bike. :)

I have a thule Fit kit for Volkswagen labeled 853-2210.. I tried google but came up with nothing.. if they fit your VW you can have them. I have a set of old crossbar I can sell you cheap you would just need the traverse Foot pack.
Thanks. I will get back to you and I appreciate generosity.

I'm leaning toward hitch at present. My MtB does not have a quick release front tire. I don't like the idea of having to take it off and put it back on each time I go out. I'm also less excited about lifting the bike as is over the car. I've got pretty strong legs but weak old man arms.

oldsklrdr

i have an mk7 gti and went with a 2" hitchmount from etrailer and rack from RockyMounts which I have been really happy with. They have it on sale right now for $450.

Did the hitchmount install myself...wasn't too difficult if your the kind of person that likes DIY projects....

if you want to check it out let me know...

IMG_8468.jpg

i have an mk7 gti and went with a 2" hitchmount from etrailer and rack from RockyMounts which I have been really happy with. They have it on sale right now for $450.

Did the hitchmount install myself...wasn't too difficult if your the kind of person that likes DIY projects....

if you want to check it out let me know...

View attachment 127229
Thanks. I may do that. But I'm not putting the hitch on myself.

According to the hitch expert near me, there are two options, one which is slightly visible from the back and the other, for an extra $100, can't be seen (other than the hitch). Does that sound right and if so which one did you opt for?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

According to the hitch expert near me, there are two options, one which is slightly visible from the back and the other, for an extra $100, can't be seen (other than the hitch). Does that sound right and if so which one did you opt for?
Check etrailer for your hitch options, they will also have installation videos. Installing a hitch isn't that hard.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
@jimicoltrane Welcome and congrats on the new bike. You also bought from a top notch shop. I know the nut for a roof rack system might be a tough one at first but I think you’ll find over the long haul it will be an investment that pays off in many ways. Trips to the hardware store involving lumber, ladders etc, ski trips, extra space up top through a roof box ( I borrow mine from friends), etc.

@iman29 is right, you can often get good deals on used racks. The racks and attachments are very durable. I have several and my first one (Thule, bought in ‘87) is still in use.

And remember...it’s not the person who dies with the most toys that wins...it’s the one that fits the most toys on their roof rack that does. :p

Reactions: Tim

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan

I bought a hitch for my Nissan Sentra off etrailer, $112. It literally took me a half hour to install, didn't need to take off the bumper and the hitch has pre-drilled holes that match the ones on your chassis. Of course every car is different but it shouldn't be too difficult, only need wrenches and a ratchet. Bought a one bike Thule rack for $300 and change, whole thing cost me less then $450.

I bought a hitch for my Nissan Sentra off etrailer, $112. It literally took me a half hour to install, didn't need to take off the bumper and the hitch has pre-drilled holes that match the ones on your chassis. Of course every car is different but it shouldn't be too difficult, only need wrenches and a ratchet. Bought a one bike Thule rack for $300 and change, whole thing cost me less then $450.
Thanks. Looks like I ought to investigate the option. I ordered the rack (Kuat Transfer 2) last night.

Now all we need is decent weather and an open park!

Top Bottom