Google Earth, Custom Maps & GPS Data

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Lets first start off with what "Google Earth" is. If you have ever used Google's Satelite maps via maps.google.com they you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. Google Earth is MUCH better and offers a ton more features.

Google Earth can be downloaded for free from: http://earth.google.com/

In each trail forum, I will start a thread under the same heading where you will be able to download .kmz files to import into Google Earth on YOUR computer. For a small fee ($20), you can upgrade Google Earth Plus that works with many GPS units to import your waypoint and track.

Have a favorite loop you want to share? Bring your GPS with you, import it into Google Earth at the end of the day and then upload your .kmz file.

Mahlon Dickerson is where I am starting this project. View my files here: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448

See a loop you want to try? Import the track and waypoint data into your Google Earth and print out exactly what you want.

As we progress with this, we will start to include data for other programs and importing data into GPS units.

Last edited:

kevindef

Been Using my Garmin GPSMap 60CS at LM

I picked up a GPSMap 60CS a few weeks ago and have used it quite a few times at Lewis Morris and part of Patriots path. I also picked up a Gilsson amplified antenna after my first ride. The Gilsson does help to make things better, but the tree canopy has been a problem. But this past weekend it appears that I was able to get better tracks, but there was a spot or 2 in which in which I must have lost the signal. I am hoping that with the trees losing their leaves I will get better tracks without any filling in etc. I have also been using Google Earth Plus. It is quite fascinating. Lewis Morris for me is just so convenient to get to on a daily basis. Last year I would go all over the place riding, but it just took up so much time. My wife thought I was addicted. Which I am, but I had to put things in there proper perspective, so I figured Lewis Morris was close by and fun as well and didn't take as much time as say going to Round Valley or Ringwood. I really like the place, so it isn't a problem.

Kevin

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
jason,

can you show me what the map looks like after you've uploaded the gps tracks? (maybe a jpg or something?)

reason is i am just about to throw down for a new version of TOPO! but if google is better, rather use that!

thanks man!

p.s. good meeting you finally!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
mergs said:
jason,

can you show me what the map looks like after you've uploaded the gps tracks? (maybe a jpg or something?)

reason is i am just about to throw down for a new version of TOPO! but if google is better, rather use that!

thanks man!

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1827

check this thread for some of the exports. Not the greatest quality so you may want to look into a quality topo package. This really is more for the po folks out there like myself. LOL

Jason

JORBA.ORG
mergs said:
jason,

thanks man!

I started working with topo overlays. Found a free service but it kinds of hit or miss with the topo quality. Mahlon Dickerson seems to have "higher" quality topos compared to the rest of the state. Here's a sample...

Last edited:
Top Bottom