Going Long and Hard.

if you have FB somehow this came up in my feed- short video of Lael Wilcox out on the course just gives an idea of the conditions.

How anyone can even be out in that let alone ride/walk a bike is " inconceivable" to me.

Great job Jim get home safe.

screen shot doesnt give it context but holy wind.

1709237361458.png

Last edited:
if you have FB somehow this came up in my feel - short video of Lael Wilcox out on the course just gives an idea of the conditions.

How anyone can even be out in that let alone ride/walk a bike is " inconceivable" to me.

Great job Jim get home safe.

screen shot doesnt give it context but holy wind.

View attachment 233585

The trainer in my basement never looked as appealing as it does now. Lol.

Gonna call it here at Rainy Pass just to make sure I get home with all of my body parts.

I'm sure it was a tough decision but damn dude I hope you're proud of the fact that you made it this far! And then still have the sense to call it. You're definitely tapping into something that nobody else here has.

Bonus, NJ will feel like the Caribbean for the rest of the winter

Staying at Rainy Pass tonight with Coach Art. He threw out his back on the steps jumping off course because a snowmobile was coming through. Basically the same spot I crashed last year.

Right here was a sheet of ice in ‘22, almost rideable this year with the amount of snowfall. Except you can’t see how steep it actually is, it’s like a roller.

687B2111-A9D2-464D-8B39-D02BD1069C89.jpeg

Pushed through the crazy Finger Lake wind yesterday, was definitely an issue not having proper face protection. Decided to head out with Thomas on the traditional ITI trail from Finger Lake and he went through the ice because there was no trail. We backtracked to Finger Lake to dry him out and decided to wait for more people to go as a group. I woke up covered in snow and alone in the tent, everyone had left at like 4am or so.

They cut in a trail around the shoreline to meet the ITI Trail. My GPS wouldn’t start up in the cold and the trail was completely blown in so I went back to Finger Lake, again.

Benji and Ryan were getting ready so we left together around 11:30am. We broke trail to the Happy Steps and then I just put my head down and pushed hard. With no face shield with 40mph winds across the lakes I was definitely in survival mode.

Made it to Puntilla just before 11pm. Woke up with a wet ear from frostbite. Brian and a group went out from Puntilla to go over the pass and turned around due to more wind.

Supposed to be a low of -40 in Rohn so I’m not gonna risk it at this point because I only brought a 0 degree bag and the tent only sleeps like 6 people so I can’t guarantee a spot.

Gonna call it here at Rainy Pass just to make sure I get home with all of my body parts.

On a positive note, the Single-Speed has been phenomenal. Maybe a few miles that I couldn’t ride due to having the wrong gear. I even climbed the hill into Puntilla and I’ve walked it the last 2 times.
wowza, this sounds slightly more challenging than a ride on the beach. glad you're safe!

Staying at Rainy Pass tonight with Coach Art. He threw out his back on the steps jumping off course because a snowmobile was coming through. Basically the same spot I crashed last year.

Right here was a sheet of ice in ‘22, almost rideable this year with the amount of snowfall. Except you can’t see how steep it actually is, it’s like a roller.

View attachment 233602
send it bruh!

awesome job Jim and good decision to call it for safety. Sorry i haven't been following your whole career but have u ever finished?

I finished the ITI130 in 3rd 2016, then the ITI350 in 6th 2019, scratched during my Nome attempt in 2022, and scratched this year in the ITI350.

I’ll pass the torch to Benji and let him fly the NJ flag from here on out. He went out with the big group around midnight last night. Hopefully he’s feeling what I felt the first time I saw Rainy Pass in person because it’s something really special that few will ever experience…

Back
Top Bottom