Going Long and Hard.

Liking the warroad, it definitely checks all the boxes. It was never on my radar (pricey) but if this gravel thing bites me I just might have to reconsider. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after some more miles

I'm more curious about it's road capability. This setup is great on gravel but I'm coming off a Tarmac so it has big shoes to fill. Obviously it'll be a better option for longer Brevets. We'll see, Salsa hasn't let me down yet, they seem to be able to blend long and fast.

So Saturday and Sunday I took a couple of really silly falls.

Saturday I slid in a corner and had a slow speed crash in some gravel. Nothing terrible, just a little road rash.

Sunday while riding with my son, I turned to look back and see if he was with me and flipped clean off the trail. Knocked the wind out of myself. Again, just some rash I thought. Had a pretty hard time sleeping through the night and bearing weight on my chest so I more than likely cracked a rib. Not a big deal, but please, keep the jokes to yourself. Laughing hurts a little.

20190922_130750.jpg

Last edited:
Ha
My old racecar was parked outside today. The kid that bought it lives a town over and is prepping it for a track return. I've been trying to buy it back for over a decade. I built this from a bare shell in my driveway in Cliffwood Beach. 1,200 pounds with 135hp 1.8L JH. Welded diff. 4k trans with 4:11 final drive. 293 racing cam with a 2,500rpm idle. Downpipe with side exit Fender exhaust. All custom. Took about a year to build. I raced it in EP for about 10 years before selling it to Shawn, who lived in NY at the time. He bought a trailer with the car, 8 sets of wheels. 2 motors. 2 trans. A spare shell and a parts car. Now he lives 5 minutes from here and taunts me. Asshole.

View attachment 105977

When I built it...

View attachment 105981
had to comment on this out of my own frustration. My first build up was a ‘92 fox body mustang 5.0 that I got when I was 15. I delivered pizza in that car and almost every dime I made went back into it. I know the current owner and have been trying to buy it back for a decade now. One day he will die and I’m taking my car back.

So Saturday and Sunday I took a couple of really silly falls.

Saturday I slid in a corner and had a slow speed crash in some gravel. Nothing terrible, just a little road rash.

Sunday while riding with my son, I turned to look back and see if he was with me and flipped clean off the trail. Knocked the wind out of myself. Again, just some rash I thought. Had a pretty hard time sleeping through the night and bearing weight on my chest so I more than likely cracked a rib. Not a big deal, but please, keep the jokes to yourself. Laughing hurts a little.

View attachment 106358

thats one way to get a darker 6 Mile Tan, just roll around in it. :p

seriously tho hope youre better soon

3 days out and had to spend my first night propped up on the couch. Ribs are stupid, what the hell do they do anyway?

At least I got a pile of poop for my new bike. Traditional deep, round bars and Zipp stem now that I know the fit is good. Also got a pair of Terravail something or others to demo. They're pretty smooth and are 1/2 the weight of the Pathfinder. Probably fine for unPaved but might be too roadie for other poop?

20190925_143149.jpg

After another abnormally restless night, I broke down and went in for X-Rays on Thursday morning. And just as I suspected, there's too much scar tissue from years of broken bones to be conclusive. We're definitely certain something is broken, we just can't tell which of the breaks is this one.

I also have a pretty good bruise on my scapula, which is pretty normal during an MTB crash. I was hoping to at least pedal around town this weekend, otherwise my unPaved and Iron Cross plans might have to change. I'm optimistic enough that I put the new stuff on the Warroad.

Mounted the new tire and immediately pulled it off. It's light and will "maybe" be ok but it's just a road + instead of a gravel tire so the Pathfinder went back on.

The 2 tires back to back.

20190927_175833.jpg
20190927_175850.jpg

The cockpit was just business as usual with a traditional deep round Zipp SL88 bar and blacked out Zipp SL stem. Cut the steerer. Retaped bars with new Supakaz Galaxy Tape. Same as all of my drop bikes in the last 3 or 4 years.

20190927_191149.jpg

Sorta funny how the 650 wheels look totally normal on a small frame. Can't even tell they're 47s.

Back
Top Bottom