Going Long and Hard.

Spearfish? Hey I have one of those. What's new with the latest version?

They did all the things. Super Boost. Shortened the rear end by a bunch. Updated the geo to the modern long TT, short stem thing all the kids like. It's also 27.5+ compatible now, which is my draw. I've been on the hunt for a short travel XC FS+ frame for years. The Stumpy gets it close, I'm hoping the Salsa nails it. Although, I built 29er wheels for it because I want to see if the short wheelbase changes my mind on wagon wheels or if they're dead for good.

They did all the things. Super Boost. Shortened the rear end by a bunch. Updated the geo to the modern long TT, short stem thing all the kids like. It's also 27.5+ compatible now, which is my draw. I've been on the hunt for a short travel XC FS+ frame for years. The Stumpy gets it close, I'm hoping the Salsa nails it. Although, I built 29er wheels for it because I want to see if the short wheelbase changes my mind on wagon wheels or if they're dead for good.

My next bike will be FS short travel, light as possible 29er. Thinking SC Blur, Turner Czar, Felt Edict. Add Spearfish to the list?

My next bike will be FS short travel, light as possible 29er. Thinking SC Blur, Turner Czar, Felt Edict. Add Spearfish to the list?

My final build will have AXS and a Sid World Cup, that's as light as it gets so we'll see. The Spearfish is more aggressive than a Blur or Czar. It fits along the Epic Evo lines in the "downcountry" segment. Another big draw is that it has 3 bottle mounts and a top tube bag mount something no other race bike has. Camelbacks are so 1995.

My final build will have AXS and a Sid World Cup, that's as light as it gets so we'll see. The Spearfish is more aggressive than a Blur or Czar. It fits along the Epic Evo lines in the "downcountry" segment. Another big draw is that it has 3 bottle mounts and a top tube bag mount something no other race bike has. Camelbacks are so 1995.
Can you let me know when you sell your AXS and SID WC for pennies to a dollar?

Any specific thought on the Hope hub choice? I used the same hub for my 29" superboost wheel going for flanges simmetry rather than wider spaced ones. Not that I can appreciate the difference much at my level but I like the technical (or nerdy if you prefer) part of picking the 'right' components...

I did it because of price. That's also why I'm running Stan's rims. Just need a cheap and reliable 29er wheel. The plus wheels I build will be I9s and Nexties.

I did it because of price. That's also why I'm running Stan's rims. Just need a cheap and reliable 29er wheel. The plus wheels I build will be I9s and Nexties.

Any idea on the DT Swiss 350 straight pull 12x157 ? I actually got them for the same price as the Hope and I'm planning to use them on either a 27.5+ set or a more 'refined' set of 29" (for the one I just built I used a set of Sun Ringle MTX33 that I had in the garage since when I came up with the idea of building a 69er/96er a while ago, never happened).

Any idea on the DT Swiss 350 straight pull 12x157 ? I actually got them for the same price as the Hope and I'm planning to use them on either a 27.5+ set or a more 'refined' set of 29" (for the one I just built I used a set of Sun Ringle MTX33 that I had in the garage since when I came up with the idea of building a 69er/96er a while ago, never happened).

Personally not a fan of straight pull hubs for MTB. I have the DTs on my Stumpy and Tarmac in standard spoke, great hubs. I have the ratchet upgrade in the Stumpy to make it more ratchety.

How does a sid just not buckle under you?

Good weekend of riding. Except for a ripped tire on my loaner bike. Because it isn't tubeless. Tubes are stupid. I may not ride this bike for event because I've flatted each time I've ridden it. Probably shouldn't take it mountain biking, but still.

IMG_20190406_122534_724.jpg
IMG_20190407_121934_316.jpg
20190407_103654.jpg
IMG_20190407_154339_166.jpg

I was hoping to have my Spearfish built up by the JayP ride but it might be tight. I have an AXS kit and some secret stuff that will be here at the end of May. So the bling build unveil is on hold. They're sending me a build kit to ride in the interim that might be here next week. In the meantime, Salsa sent me a Journeyman to ride the route with and post pictures of to promote the ride. My life pretty much sucks ass.
two questions - when is that JayP ride again? I know you posted it at some point, but...lazy...also, i'm looking at a 27.5+ FS bike to add to my stable...looking at the santa cruz 5010, or something from salsa (rustler or spearfish). add me to the list of peeps who will take that free bike off your hands for pennies on the dollar or girl scout cookies, whichever you prefer

Back
Top Bottom