Going Long and Hard.

Here's the latest version of my 600k set-up. Also, testing the new Specialized Power Crank.

IMG_20180516_123312_248.jpg
20180516_104650.jpg
20180516_122958.jpg

20180516_192944.jpg

And, here's where I lost my Spot tracker. Rode up down quite a bit but I imagine it was washed into a sewer drain with the storm.

20180516_192944.jpg
20180516_142939.jpg

Warm weather brakes?

IDK. I've been Sponsored by Sram for a few years and have only ever ridden the Handmade US stuff, which is flawless. There seems to be a translation issue when they send it overseas and the manufacturer change the seals to save a 10th of a penny.

PA600.

Hey, it rained. Forever it rained. All day, all night. Rain. Then it rained. Rained again. Rained some more. Rain. Rain. Rainy rain rain.

I broke away from the group just before the first Control. Put in a hard steady effort with super short Control stops for 100 or so miles after that. I stopped to take this photo though...

IMG_20180520_011523_759.jpg

Coming out of the last Control before the Sleep Stop, my main light died. I didn't bring a spare and was forced to run my blinky light in steady mode pointed straight down at the road. Not ideal. An hour or so later, that also died. Now I'm stuck in the pitch black with nada. I plug my main light into the Charging Block, turned the flashlight on my phone, and started walking. In hindsight, I should've plugged my light in when it died but I was optimistic I'd make it back in time.

At one point I sit on the side of the road waiting for 2nd place to catch me so I can ride behind him. I got cold standing around in the rain so I just kept rolling. Put my main light back on hoping it was charged enough to make it the 8 miles to the Hostel. It did. Was back at the Hostel after a 21 hour 400k.

I ate. Put on pajamas and was in bed before second place caught me. Couldn't sleep but I laid there near the window waiting for the rain to stop. Didn't want to hit the bottom 200k in rain. It stopped around 5am. I ate again. A group left, including much of the 600k folks. Some just got back and were riding straight through. Some were still out there. Many called it quits.

I left about a half hour after. Legs were tender and a slightly bum knee stopped me from putting out any real efforts. Plodded through my day. It was sunny at least. Caught the group at the halfway point. Short stopped them and carried my food with me. Ate on the bike, back in the lead.

At the last control, there's a Post Office instead of a Dunkin Donuts. During the first Control my mileage was off and I hit a Post Office just a tad over where it was supposed to be. What the balls? I did the entire second day backwards. That's why I didn't see anyone until the halfway point. I'm not sure what's legal now so I rode back to the first control and get a signature, ride back to the Post Office and take a picture. Continue on, I'll let the RBA figure it out. Not sure how much time that all cost me, I was pretty shocked to be the first one back.

Explained what went down. It hit the mileage and Controls so he gave me credit. But it has to go through RUSA. As far as PA folk are concerned, it's all good. 35:40 after explaining myself. Probably hit the Hostel at like 35:20 or so...

IMG_20180520_181650_619.jpg

Back
Top Bottom