Giant Mullet Bike Project - Business in the front, party at the back!

I just wanna share my mullet project. Its 2015 giant stance. I converted 120mm to 130 rockshox sektor boosted fork with 29x2.5 tubeless rubber on it. It went from 68 degrees to 65 Head angle, with the seat angle moved from 73.5 to 70 degrees only. Now I’m thinking on going coilovers, on the rear, I’m a very heavy rider, 225+ lbs and the rockshox rc2 is not cutting it out. What do you think guys? I know its just an old giant stance with flexpoint design and not the best bike to upgrade with, but I just kinda feel its a fun good bike to played with and experiment with in the garage and in the trails.
C4F17BA2-E374-43A1-8C8F-D36FAF1DD054.jpeg
F7A87F4C-F601-4827-8620-54F6F8493575.jpeg
0E26286B-036D-4103-B61B-3906FC8FA76F.jpeg

Last edited:
26 in back and 29 up front? Interesting, I have an old trance I can do the same. Update us on how it rides.
Its 27.5x2.3 at the back 29x2.5 in the front if you do put 29 front on 26'er its gonna be a 69'er, I heard those are beast downhill

Last edited:
If you can’t find a coil that fits you could try adding tokens to the shock.
I'm running 270 psi already to get that 25% sag while that max of the shock is 275 psi. If I put the volume spacers in, would it give me 25% or less sag with lesser volume too as well? If this works out, that would be great cheap solution than getting a Canecreek double barrel 190X45 coil overs. Its an old fun bike, I don't wanna spend more than its value. If I can get a decent value coilover that would work, that's gonna be great too as well. But as of now, I'm considering that volume spacer, na mean?

If you mullet my old 2011 Trance, we need a build blog about it! Would probably be a cool project and put the geometry to more modern numbers. Not sure how it would ride though.
Lol. I'll keep that in mind. I might sell it beforehand

The tokens will give you end stroke ramp up, not nessasarily less sag. If you go coil, you'll have to invest in a few different springs to get your sag correct as there is no other way to adjust your spring rate. Switching to a coil, if you can even find one in the correct size for that bike, is not nessasarily going to fix your problem. Also, realize that while you may have slackened your head angle to more modern numbers, you dropped your seat angle back to numbers a decade or more behind the norm. And also raised your bottom bracket. So now you have more weight off the back of the bike , unless you slide your seat forward to compensate, which will then, effectively, shortened your reach. Which again, is going against the modern trends. So what I'm wondering, is what you are trying achieve here in the first place ?

Last edited:
The tokens will give you end stroke ramp up, not nessasarily less sag. If you go coil, you'll have to invest in a few different springs to get your sag correct as there is no other way to adjust your spring rate. Switching to a coil, if you can even find one in the correct size for that bike, is not nessasarily going to fix your problem. Also, realize that while you may have slackened your head angle to more modern numbers, you dropped your seat angle back to numbers a decade or more behind the norm. And also raised your bottom bracket. So now you have more weight off the back of the bike , unless you slide your seat forward to compensate, which will then, effectively, shortened your reach. Which again, is going against the modern trends. So what I'm wondering, is what you are trying achieve here in the first place ?
I like where the BB is right now, i’m always hitting my pedals to those rocks on the trail, it’s so rocky here where I’m at. And yes i moved the seat an inch forward in the rails, this gave me ability not to lean too much climbing up. I feel more comfortable climbing with it now, unlike before that i have to lean uncomfortably to pedal effectively on ascents. I have not yet tried it downhill yet, coz the trails are still covered with slippery snow. I’ll yet to know this weekend how it works out in the trail. and ow 70 degrees seat tube angle is not that bad.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a coil would work on this frame . Besides the physical size of a coil the leverage curve of the frame needs to be quit progressive for a coil to work properly. Alot of shoerter travel bikes have a regressive suspension so the ramp up of a smaller air can is minimized. Just fill that shock with as many tokens as possible

Back
Top Bottom