Giant Anthem X29er 2 vs. Specialized Epic Comp 29er FSR

robertg

Anyone have experience on both on the trails? Both are similar in geometry, travel and specs. Just looking to see what everyones opinions are, one way or the other.

Talking about a win-win :D

My take, get the one from the shop you like best.

If you like both shops that carry these bikes equally, then get the one that you think looks cooler :cool:

Interested to hear what the input is from people who have ridden these bikes though :popcorn:

I've been riding and racing my 2010 Epic 29 marathon (29) since March 2010. I love it! I'm 5'10.5 with 34.5" arms and a 29" inseam. I ride a large. It took a little tweaking to get the set up just right and the Reba +/- pressure was more tempermental to dial in than a Fox, but once I found the right pressures, right saddle position, and stem/bars combination it's almost perfect. I wouldn't mind if the bike weighed a little less (it's about 25.5lbs) but it's a FS 29er....that does everything well. Other than weight, the only weakness is tight twisty ST (like Six mile, Tiger Woods, or the one section at Taconic 909). However it gets you to the tight stuff with enough energy to pedal out of the turns and it accelerates quick enough that I think the trade off is worthwhile. FYI, there were some issues in the past with the "brain" this has been addressed by Specialized and they now contract Fox to build them. I haven't heard of any issues with the 2010 or 2011's yet. The current brain works very well. I rarely notice it working, which is the idea. I can't imagine another FS bike on the market would be better for me. If you've got any specific questions let me know.

all other things being equal (e.g. suspension performance, weight, component spec, price, etc), don't forget about standover clearance. The Anthem appears to be a straighter top tube, whereas the Specialized has a dropped top tube. If you ride technical trails, standover is important.

Thanks everyone for their input. My last 3 bikes have been Giants (Trance, Reign, and Trance X), so I am used to the Maestro, but I love the look of the Lime Epic, and from what I hear, the brain does work wonderfully now. I am pretty sure the Spec will be what I go with, in a Medium (5'9", 30" inseam. I sat on the small, medium and large today, and the medium felt right.

FYI, went with the Stumpy 29er. A friend had a used one.

FSR? i got one and love it, since you got a good deal save your pennies and just you wait when the IBIS 29er debutes in september, a 29er FS frame that's under 7lbs with the rear shock installed. that's the word on the street and everyone knows that IBIS has one of the best rear suspension setups!

I've been riding an Epic Comp 29 test bike off and on for about 3 weeks now. I am seriously impressed with this bike especially for the price. I found the suspension easy to dial in and after so you don't notice it. It is firm when it needs to be but still soaks up bumps, I also think it climbs extremely well especially when you want to stand up and hammer up a hill. I don't like the grips, seat, x7 shifters or the wide straight bar but those can be changed easily later down the road. I'm on the fence in regards to the cable routing and would be interesting to hear what others have to say about it. All in all you seriously can't go wrong with this bike at this price point.

Sorry, yes a full sus Stumpy Comp 29er FSR. Deep down I wanted the epic, but couldn't pass up the deal on the Stumpy.

Talking about a win-win :D

My take, get the one from the shop you like best.

If you like both shops that carry these bikes equally, then get the one that you think looks cooler :cool:

Interested to hear what the input is from people who have ridden these bikes though :popcorn:

I think he's partial to one pArticular shop

Back
Top Bottom