Gas powered bikes?

An Aprilia and a Ferrari in the same photo. When’s the last time that occurred around here?

Saw your GSW in the Clay Pit lot this AM. Running the 16’s for the winter?
I never took them off last spring! Someone did not properly measure toe on his car and wore out the tires on the 18" rims. Never got around to ordering new ones.

Drove by your place to pick up my niece. Only one GSW in your household now?

Big curveball on the Zeeltronic ignition installation. AFAICT, one of the 27yo wires did not care to be moved around and seems to have broken internally. Move the connector in one direction - bike runs. Move in another - bike does not run. Sigh... Trying to come up with a path forward that doesn't look like a total hack.

Dropped the Aprilia at a shop in Delaware to go over it and tune on their dyno. The shop owner is a huge 2-stroke guy and has been working with the little 250 race replicas since they were new. I'm hoping to see 65hp at the wheels, which is pretty stout out of 250cc (260hp/liter!).

Next up is the Bimota. Found the source of the oil smoke on startup.

db4-oil-leak-sm.jpg

The 24yo o-ring between the cylinder head and base is leaking. Pretty straightforward fix. It doesn't look like I'll run into any charming Bimota packaging issues. I think the clutch pushrod is leaking too.

Bimota is about done. Just needs an oil change. Pulled the head:

db4-cylinder-sm.jpg

Cleaned up the piston w/carb cleaner and plastic razor blades and replaced the 2 o-rings:

db4-cylinder-clean.jpg

Back together (cleaned the pipe up with toilet bowl cleaner and a scotchbrite pad):

db4-pipe-after.jpg

Ran it through a few heat cycles and it looks good so far. Tried to take it for a quick ride Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, I forgot to open the completely innaccessible petcock on the tank before I installed it and the cover so the bike quit warming up. Took me a while to figure out what stupid thing I had done. Snow/salt on the road now so it will be a while.

In other news, I pulled the CRF70 out of the basement for the first time in 7 or 8 years. I want to set up a bit of a flat track for some slidey practice. Managed to hurt my knee in about 10 minutes. Nice job.

pit-bike.jpg

Maybe the beginning of the end of Organized Legal Enduro in NJ. New proposed regulations -

37. The permittee shall, in writing, advise all club members and participants of the NJ State Park Service Administrative Code, N.J.A.C. 7:2, with specific attention to Subchapter 3, Motorized Vehicle Regulations. Club members and event participants shall be advised that the operation of motorized vehicles must remain solely on designated roadways while in NJ State Parks and Forests, except during approved Special Use events. All motor vehicles must be registered, insured, and operated by a licensed driver. Fire control lines and single-track trails on State Park and Forest property are not open for motorcycle use, other than during approved special events. Any club member or event participant observed operating a motor vehicle illegally within a State Park or Forest during a period of 12 months after the permitted event will be held individually liable for their actions. The permittee may be held responsible for the actions of their club members and event participants, resulting in further penalties or suspension from hosting future events. Enduro events are permitted annually to provide a positive and responsible outlet for motorized recreation, however, enduro clubs must hold their membership and participants accountable year-round for protecting this privilege.

The State Park Service will provide GPS tracking devices to five randomly selected event participants. Selected participants will be advised to retain each tracker on their person or vehicle for the duration of the event. The devices will only be tracking speed, location and time. No personal data will be collected. This data will be used by the State Park Service to review the event and the route for accuracy. Failure to return each device in working condition may result in future event suspension for the permittee and the participant. Tampering with or loss of the devices may result in further penalties including reimbursement for the cost of the device.

The speed limit on all SPS roads is 20 mph, unless otherwise posted. All vehicles must remain on established roadways and shall avoid driving into natural bodies of water such as rivers and lakes.

Maybe the beginning of the end of Organized Legal Enduro in NJ. New proposed regulations -

37. The permittee shall, in writing, advise all club members and participants of the NJ State Park Service Administrative Code, N.J.A.C. 7:2, with specific attention to Subchapter 3, Motorized Vehicle Regulations. Club members and event participants shall be advised that the operation of motorized vehicles must remain solely on designated roadways while in NJ State Parks and Forests, except during approved Special Use events. All motor vehicles must be registered, insured, and operated by a licensed driver. Fire control lines and single-track trails on State Park and Forest property are not open for motorcycle use, other than during approved special events. Any club member or event participant observed operating a motor vehicle illegally within a State Park or Forest during a period of 12 months after the permitted event will be held individually liable for their actions. The permittee may be held responsible for the actions of their club members and event participants, resulting in further penalties or suspension from hosting future events. Enduro events are permitted annually to provide a positive and responsible outlet for motorized recreation, however, enduro clubs must hold their membership and participants accountable year-round for protecting this privilege.

The State Park Service will provide GPS tracking devices to five randomly selected event participants. Selected participants will be advised to retain each tracker on their person or vehicle for the duration of the event. The devices will only be tracking speed, location and time. No personal data will be collected. This data will be used by the State Park Service to review the event and the route for accuracy. Failure to return each device in working condition may result in future event suspension for the permittee and the participant. Tampering with or loss of the devices may result in further penalties including reimbursement for the cost of the device.

The speed limit on all SPS roads is 20 mph, unless otherwise posted. All vehicles must remain on established roadways and shall avoid driving into natural bodies of water such as rivers and lakes.
The trouble here is that this policy makes criminals out of anyone riding a moto. It’s also a total buzzkill.

Ebikes are looking better every day.

Getting started on the 848 for next season. Decided it would become a full time track bike. I ordered enough tires for the season, planning to switch to slicks after I burn through the final 3 "street" tires.

848_2024_begins.jpg

Bought some used track bodywork and ordered $275 worth of new coolant hoses (ouch).

848-bodywork.jpg

and then ... SQUIRREL!

PXL_20240204_210722066.jpg

Came across an 848 track bike Sunday morning. Went to breakfast with a few motorcycle nuts (they have 63 bikes in their shared space). They were helpful. "You know you have to buy it". Left a deposit Sunday afternoon. Bike is in Paramus and my trailer is in Delaware so I have to figure that out.

It's a 2009 848 that was raced at Daytona. It retired with a mechanical. The engine was rebuilt with high compression pistons and better bearings but never re-installed. At some point, a stock engine was sourced and installed.

It has a full Akrapovic exhaust which looks amazing and must have cost huge money. Slipper clutch. SATO rear sets. A nice steering damper. Ohlins front and rear. 6" rear wheel from a 1098s. Power Commander. Two complete sets of bodywork plus 2 extra lowers. I don't think it has so much as fallen over in the paddock. The rebuilt engine is part of the deal and he kept pulling out boxes of random spare parts.

Trying to figure out my plan. I think first order of business will be to change the oil and send a sample out to Blackstone before I commit to making it my track bike for this season. If it comes back good, I'll swap the front end and rear wheel/hub with my current bike (since I have a pile of tires for a 5.5" rear wheel), then replace the timing belts and check the valves. First event on the freshly repaved NJMP Thunderbolt is April 17!

Seller is a cyclist too. Also in the garage: Cervelo road bike, Open WIDE gravel bike, Trek fat bike with a Lauf front end, Bearclaw Ti MTB.

I always enjoy these updates. Looking forward to seeing how the build progresses.
Thanks. This will take a backseat. I'm going to get my other bike prepped, then start going through it. I don't want to find myself having to rush. First track day is April 17!

cup-bike-sm.jpg

This popped up way up in north jersey (Hamburg - I thought I'd never get there) priced at "is this a scam?" It's a 1999 Aprilia RS250 Cup bike, imported for a racing series back in the day. No title, just a certificate of origin stamped with "For race use only" and a 15 digit VIN that most DMVs will reject out of hand.

A few condition issues. The rear brake master is locked solid. It started on 1st kick but I couldn't get any heat in the radiator. I called Steve, the guy whose shop just tuned my street RS250 for a consult. "Just buy the f*cking thing. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you." Note spare wheels and a box of spares that requires two people to lift. No idea if they're any good or if it's a box of junk. It *may* have a new crank in there, which would be gold. I didn't look too carefully.

Got my other RS250 back from dyno tuning. 67 at the wheel! Stock they make about 57. More impressive than the peak is how tuner Dave got the low-mid RPM fueling. It's a lot more responsive.

View attachment 234780

This popped up way up in north jersey (Hamburg - I thought I'd never get there) priced at "is this a scam?" It's a 1999 Aprilia RS250 Cup bike, imported for a racing series back in the day. No title, just a certificate of origin stamped with "For race use only" and a 15 digit VIN that most DMVs will reject out of hand.

A few condition issues. The rear brake master is locked solid. It started on 1st kick but I couldn't get any heat in the radiator. I called Steve, the guy whose shop just tuned my street RS250 for a consult. "Just buy the f*cking thing. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you." Note spare wheels and a box of spares that requires two people to lift. No idea if they're any good or if it's a box of junk. It *may* have a new crank in there, which would be gold. I didn't look too carefully.

Got my other RS250 back from dyno tuning. 67 at the wheel! Stock they make about 57. More impressive than the peak is how tuner Dave got the low-mid RPM fueling. It's a lot more responsive.
After you collect a few more you'll be able to furnish and stage a ROC for old M club alumni. 😄

@clarkenstein @Johnny Utah , others, you should check out the Berkshires ride in late May - it's not to be missed

Bump for the 2024 BBA in Northern Connecticut

Started working on the Aprilia Cup bike. I wouldn't quite call it a basket case but it was probably priced appropriately. Based on the date codes on the tires and the fact that the wheels/brakes are still safety wired, it has not been used in 15 years.

The transit case held an entire spare engine with (at least) a broken gear. A pair of good looking cylinders/heads and a pair of trashed ones. Lots of random stuff like levers, pegs, fittings, some fork springs, exhaust gaskets, etc.

rs250-cup-work-sm.jpg

The left side of the swingarm looks like it's been dragged through a gravel quarry and the right side has a ding from a footpeg but I haven't found any evidence of a full blown yard sale. The airbox wasn't installed correctly, a fuel line wasn't clamped, the oil tank was completely empty, the tube on the coolant overflow used to check level fell apart in my hands. And so on. It needs some TLC, for sure.

Noticed this over the w/e. A crack in the engine cradle. For those not familiar, the hole is from 'stop drilling' to prevent the crack from propagating. You usually use a smaller bit tho... It's a common problem with these bikes.

rs250-cup-crack-sm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom