Fundraising at The Bulldog Rump

TedH

Hello everyone,

I would like to make everyone aware of a fundraiser at The Bulldog Rump this Sunday that some of you may have noticed on the BikeReg registration page. Team CycleCraft/Bulldog will be raising money that will go directly to Team Rwanda to help with training, travel and sundry as they race around the African continent. The team is not completely supported by the country and relies heavily on Tom Ritchey and others who are great supporters of the team. I promise you this is a worthy cause and ask for any donation you can provide and you may donate via BikeReg, or directly at the TRC website. Some Team Rwanda Cycling kit will be available on the day via a few avenues detailed below:

- All Cat 2 and Cat 3 winners will receive a pair of Team Rwanda Cycling socks made by SockGuy (they're nice).
- There will be 2 TRC team jerseys on raffle for $5/ticket. Louis Garneau is an official sponsor of TRC and makes the team kit. You need not be present to win, but you do need to write legibly on the ticket. I will ensure that we get you the right size jersey from the team should the ones on hand not fit.
- I will be manning a table at registration and will have some promotional materials for handout and discussion. If anyone has any questions, please contact me directly. Some of the materials can be viewed in Google Docs if you wish to read a bit about some of the TRC cyclists (see below).

So to answer the question "why do this?", it is simply a desire of mine to continue helping out people I met while living in Rwanda who like to race bikes, and are slowly starting to earn a living doing so and thereby provide for their families. Some of these guys lost a lot of family in the 1994 genocide and now that Rwanda is quite literally the safest country in Africa, this is a small way to continue helping them along. Adrien Nyonshuti is headed to the 2012 Olympics in London as the first Rwandan cyclist, and I'm hopeful that his story can help people see past the genocide and see what a beautiful country Rwanda is, and what wonderful people live there.

On behalf of Team Rwanda, Jock Boyer, Kim Coats, Bulldogs and me, I greatly appreciate those who are willing to help out here. Murakoze Neza. :)

Articles:
New Yorker Magazine
SI South Africa
Bike Monkey

TRC Facebook Page
Rising from the Ashes Movie

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who either donated via BikeReg or purchased a raffle ticket on The Rump this weekend. In the end, just under $350 was raised for the cause, and hopefully some awareness was raised.

As for the raffle ticket drawing, the winners were Bruce Kristiansen and Sean Runnette (who still owes me a mailing address), both of whom were kind enough to buy multiple entries.

On behalf of the boys on Team Rwanda Cycling, Tom Ritchey, Jock Boyer, Kim Coats, Max and Team CycleCraft/Bulldogs, murakoze to all who chipped in for the cause. Please be on the lookout for Rising From the Ashes, which will hopefully be shown at the Sundance Film Festival and perhaps the NYC Bicycle Fim Festival in 2012.

Kind Regards,

Ted

Good work on this Ted. Is there a 501(c)(3) that accepts donations as well?

Yessir there is. If you go here, you can donate electronically or via check. Tax ID is listed and if you have company match, it should work (my company has always matched). Any trouble, scream and I'll put you in touch with Kim, who has the tax docs.

PS - I corrected the New Yorker link. Excellent article written by Gourevitch, who also wrote one of the "seminal" books on the genocide "We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families"

Back
Top Bottom