French Creek race

JDurk

Anyone know how this years course compares to last years?

Just got this email from the race promoter
-------------------------------------------------

This Saturday will be the 2014 “On the Rocks” @ French Creek. We hope you will join us for a great day in the woods.

Same venue… same course, different direction!

Live music courtesy of the Rob Perna Band. Kids Race. Great food. Judy’s Ice Cream. Victory Beer (prizes only – sorry it’s a State Park). Bike Jewelry.

XC and 4 Hour Endurance.

Register here before the event and save $10 - https://www.bikereg.com/tbr

TBR

BShow

Thanks JDurk. Correct on both counts. Start times are posted by category and the course will be the same trails but opposite direction. There may be a prologue to string it out a bit before that first singletrack climb, but otherwise exmect things to look the same, just backwards

Ez-E

Looks like they may be changing the course, as well as to how many laps. I wonder if hike a bike section will be included again.

BShow

Looks like they may be changing the course, as well as to how many laps. I wonder if hike a bike section will be included again.

It's true, the course is changing to avoid some particularly damaged trails. Unfortunately, the last wave of storms tore up one of the longer sections (turtle trail, around the fire tower for those that are familiar). The good news is that we're able to work with the park and have a revised loop in mind which looks to be around 7 miles - so likely a 1, 2, 3, lap format for xc. We're still using a lot of the same great trails. The new course is riding very well and will still be a ton of fun.

I'm not sure which hike-a-bike sections you're talking about... There's obviously some climbing but it's all rideable.

Robin

This was just posted on the FB MASS page

Update for French Creek... So far, we are good to go. Forecast is changing every hour... we plan hold the race unless the park tells us otherwise tomorrow. That being said, we have been working all week to bring you a course that is safe and sustainable for all. Its going to be some of the best that FC has to offer, plus some other interesting stuff... It’s going to be a good loop and a fun race. It’s got a little of everything: super technical rocky trails, gravel road, paved road, hills, descents, spectator friendly cross-style taped grassy sections. It’s an all rounder this year. Pre-reg closes at 11pm TONIGHT - don't miss it! Here is what we are hoping for - but may change at the last minute!

http://www.strava.com/segments/7171355

Ez-E

Looks like the course is going to be a bit more climbing, especially in the beginning. I am thinking I may change my cog to a 20T in the rear with the 32 I run on the front now. The hike a bike, If I recall was 3/4 through the loop last year it is ridable for most but SS was very difficult.

GratefulRider

Hike a bike? I don't recall anything particularly technical on the course. Are you referring to the hill? We'll be going down that this year, right?

JDurk

It's true, the course is changing to avoid some particularly damaged trails. Unfortunately, the last wave of storms tore up one of the longer sections (turtle trail, around the fire tower for those that are familiar). The good news is that we're able to work with the park and have a revised loop in mind which looks to be around 7 miles - so likely a 1, 2, 3, lap format for xc. We're still using a lot of the same great trails. The new course is riding very well and will still be a ton of fun.

I'm not sure which hike-a-bike sections you're talking about... There's obviously some climbing but it's all rideable.

Awesome day. I really liked the course. The final section was different with the road, but I can't recall ever going that fast on my mtb. Still had to walk up the climb that I walk every year. Did the Cat 1 race stay rain free?

BShow

Awesome day. I really liked the course. The final section was different with the road, but I can't recall ever going that fast on my mtb. Still had to walk up the climb that I walk every year. Did the Cat 1 race stay rain free?

I finished my race just before the rain started, unfortunately. I was hoping to get dumped on! A good number of riders were still on course when it started raining though.
Thanks for coming out!

Robin

Good times! Thanks to everyone who busted their bums to make the race happen. The course was still challenging and fun. I understand why changes made and appreciate keeping trails in tact.

Had a good race despite some fumbles and tumbles.

Photos are posted here. And results here.

Last edited:

kush

Very well organized, trails were great, and results posted same day. Same as with Iron Hill, this was a pleasure to suffer 4 hours

Top Bottom