Freewheel body for Shimano M475

Dave02

I need to replace the freewheel body on my Shimano M475 hub.
This is from a cheap hub (<$30).
Rather replacing it for the same low end freewheel body, I'd like to know if there is an inexpensive upgrade that is compatible.
Googling around, I see the freewheel body for the M525 hub shows that this is
"B-Fit for Shimano FH-M475 & FH-MC18 hubs".

Would this freewheel body be better than the original- and what does "B-Fit" mean?:confused:

Thanks

In Shimano lingo, 'A' is an exact replacement, while 'B' will work but may be cosmetically different.

Yes, it would be a better freehub, but I would temper your expectations... It doesn't have any more POE, and you likely wouldn't notice an operating difference between the two. It may last longer, but that is dependent on what killed the previous one.

*edit* Shimano doesn't recommend reusing the freehub fixing bolt, so you might want to pick up another. I never had an issue when I did reuse them, but they're cheap, so you might as well.

Last edited:
I have used the M529 freehub on my M475 rear hub, it is suppose to be for a 29er and stronger than the M475-M525 freehub. I don't recall if it was an A or a B fit, but it was fine when I used it. The wheelset was sold, but still works well.

Thanks for the replies- M529 it is.:)

Now that I cleaned and re-greased the hubs (will order the new freehub today), I have the following problem:
The disk rotor is rubbing the brake adapter- I removed the caliper to check- the adapter is right up against the brake rotor.
It looks as if I missed a spacer when reassembling the hubs, but I'm sure I haven't.
Any suggestions?:hmmm:

Just realign the caliper. Check park tool's site for their article on disc brake adjustment.

It's likely when you readjusted the cones that the spacing of the hub was slightly changed. It's no big deal, considering how often you will have to service the hub.

Back
Top Bottom