Free ride hardtail

^^Ok, just to clarify, slapping an 80mm fork on the GT interceptor dosnt make it a FR bike, I cant even find it on the web-site, and it is SS, and steep as heck(you happy). It would be a total abortion to convert that bike to a free-ride hardtail. Thats the point I was trying to make.

You want to give good avice here, or not? I could care less what the guy buys. But so far we got a BMX race rig, and two 29er(one from the classifieds) being suggested. Oh, and a 650b, classic. If its a clubhouse, just say so, if its not then you should be making suggestion to everyone else thats taking a 'crap' in this thread.

I don't chime in on these threads because I don't know squat. I think the problem is that few people know much, but feel that posting *something* is being helpful. It's not a conspiracy so much as a desire to help.

If you want, we can work on a wiki page that might be helpful for people who ask this kind of stuff.

^^Ok, just to clarify, slapping an 80mm fork on the GT interceptor dosnt make it a FR bike, I cant even find it on the web-site, and it is SS, and steep as heck(you happy). It would be a total abortion to convert that bike to a free-ride hardtail. Thats the point I was trying to make.

You want to give good avice here, or not? I could care less what the guy buys. But so far we got a BMX race rig, and two 29er(one from the classifieds) being suggested.

Dude, I suggested the EWR, which is eactly what he is looking for. Exactly! Just cost some coin.

100% agree with you on slapping a fork on that GT is a horrible idea. It will not feel good for for xc riding and pretty much is only for bmx style racing and jumping.

I don't chime in on these threads because I don't know squat. I think the problem is that few people know much, but feel that posting *something* is being helpful. It's not a conspiracy so much as a desire to help.

If you want, we can work on a wiki page that might be helpful for people who ask this kind of stuff.

Norm, Are you going to down play the 29er thing here? Seriously? Im gonna take a shot in the dark here and say that you know little about FR bikes, probably similar to my knowledge of cross bikes or road. Now if the tables were turned and I was making suggestions for cross/road bikes, and it was oviously that Im 'talking outta my ass', would you point it out? I certainly hope so. Maybe, "Hey, FFT means well, but he is compleatly full of 'poop'.

Same 'crap' in the GT fury thread. Anti on-line bike sales, and 'oh god - please save the LBS BS' followed by the HT 29er 'spooge'. Im not gonna start with the anti-mtbnj crap about stuffy - he said she said -BS, but how far to the right are you let this place go?

And the no cursing stuff, awesome, really!

I'm not sure what you really want here. I just nicely called our collective user base ignorant but trying to help. I think that's fair enough.

As for the 29er thing, yeah some people are annoying about it just like SS. But I think you imagine it to be more than it is. Maybe I'm ignorant, who knows. I tend to skip the "what bike should I buy?" threads so maybe it's worse than I think.

Yes, I would point it out if you said absurd things on something I did know anything about.

But really, what would you have me do? Like I said, I don't read those threads because it's like Groundhog Day for me. Maybe you focus more on them and see it more? Regardless I can't really say people can't post their opinions on that stuff. Like you, I tire of the 29er-SS mindset but I try to ignore it.

Nothing wrong with swearing but it has to be done with class, like a Frenchman. Such as, "This wine tastes like shit." Just not at people so much, I think is what Jake is getting at.

You want to give good avice here, or not? I could care less what the guy buys. But so far we got a BMX race rig, and two 29er(one from the classifieds) being suggested. Oh, and a 650b, classic. If its a clubhouse, just say so, if its not then you should be making suggestion to everyone else thats taking a 'crap' in this thread.

to further clarify: yes, we want good advice. i freely admit that i don't know sh!t. i think i even said as much. you know the FR world fairly well (from what i've seen) so even though you dropped the word which we should not direct at others i'm letting it slide.

ok ok sorry FFT didnt know it pissed you off so much. :rolleyes:

Check out this thread over on RM it has a ton of stuff to look thru...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186931

i'm punching out of this unless kev PM's me and tells me you two aren't playing nicely in this sandbox.

i'm punching out of this unless kev PM's me and tells me you two aren't playing nicely in this sandbox.

FFT and I are cool, i think :hmmm:

I will back FFT in saying that suggesting the 29er for what the guy asked for is absurd and I think it was so far off base that it probably deserved a bashing with maybe a few less choice words.

The EWR, the EWR!!!

ok ok sorry FFT didnt know it pissed you off so much. :rolleyes:

Check out this thread over on RM it has a ton of stuff to look thru...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186931

Come-on bro, you know damm rite well that 26" cruiser is nothing more than that. How helpfull are really being? Is that bike available? How much? Geometry? Help me out here. Maybe Im wrong here. And dont worry about pissing me off, I was born that way.

and please enclose an image of the der. mount, cant find one of them either.

Last edited:
FFT and I are cool, i think :hmmm:

I will back FFT in saying that suggesting the 29er for what the guy asked for is absurd and I think it was so far off base that it probably deserved a bashing with maybe a few less choice words.

The EWR, the EWR!!!

I think Jake was having you moderate the thread, and yes, EWR are cool!!

gonna chime in here since i own one. brodie bruzza. its under a grand, it works fine for me on x/c rides (where it gets most of its action), its super fun for DS style runs (think indycross), it gets a meh rating for DJs, fun at the skate park and is a tank for jumps/drops. it weighs a lot, components aren't super awesome, but i've had mine for two years and have zero complaints other than the seat tube - its an odd size.

geo is 69 degree headangle, stupid good standover, chainstay is decently short (16/5"), and it has a super low BB (just over a foot). For x/c you'll be pedal strike prone, but just adjust the way you pedal and you get used to it. i like the low BB for cornering and descending. comes stock with a marz 140mm shock this year.

Black Market and Superco dont have der. mounts either. So basically, Im gonna comprise a list of bikes that wont work for the OP. :confused:

Google these
Norco bikes
Chromag bikes
Cove bikes
Transition bikes

What do these have in common they were born in birth of freeriding of North Shore

Good list. That Transition TransAM seems like a great frame/bike - I've like the looks of it from the start. I don't know that much from the other brands but like you said being from the North Shore area they will have bikes that can will be huckable.

Agree with FFT on the 29er and 650b "tips". I am not sure how those bikes would be great for freeride use especially on a HT. They have their place and all but some people must have different opinions on what a freeride rig should be able to handle - dropping a 2' log isn't freeride. Hell for some people 6'-8' drops are just for warming up.

I saw FFT recommended the Evil Sovereign. I'd second that for sure. I have had a couple of them (from the old Evil) and they are very good all around rigs. Comfy but also very flickable.

That EWR that stb link to looks great too. I have never ridden one but they look solid and I've seens Owner Jay at Ted's house some years ago getting rad on one.

I am not sure what Sinister is up to but I had a couple of Ridges over the years and those things can handle a lot. I brought my last one up to Vermont some years ago. Was able to put some miles on it but also hit the jumps at the town park. Just swapped a few parts to fit the day. You could always see if FTW could make you one if you can't find a used one.

Also, one of my homies from up north would ride the hell out of an old Evil Imperial. I've seen him pop off stuff that I wouldn't try even with full DH gear. And this would be in the middle of a local "XC" loop. He is a mutant tho but those old Evil frames can handle some stuff.

I saw FFT recommended the Evil Sovereign. I'd second that for sure. I have had a couple of them (from the old Evil) and they are very good all around rigs. Comfy but also very flickable.

Also, one of my homies from up north would ride the hell out of an old Evil Imperial. I've seen him pop off stuff that I wouldn't try even with full DH gear. And this would be in the middle of a local "XC" loop. He is a mutant tho but those old Evil frames can handle some stuff.

the evil frames (i'm familiar with the old ones) are awesome. i've watched sydasti do some decent sized stuff on his old one (when he had it). if i had the scratch i'd pick one up, or the trans am.

cotic also makes some nice frames, but if the OP is looking for inexpensive, all these brands definitely run up the cost for just the frame, nevermind the build.

another one which i would look into to keep the cost down, but you'd have to find it used, is the kona five-0 (i think the last year they made them was 2010?). definitely huckworthy and a comfortable fit for trails. i was close to pulling the trigger on one when i ended up buying my brodie. they have a nice geo - shorter chainstay, low BB and somewhere in the 68-69 degree headangle realm.

Not at all what he's looking for. Please explain how a 29er is suitable for a 360 off a double. Penalty box or not, this site is full of one-side bullshit pampering of the 29" bike. Trying to sell a 29er outta the classifieds for a friend, to a guy who wants a FR hardtail to shred on - <radio edit> lame.

My reading comprehension may not be the best but when see LOL after the 360 part I assumed he was kidding. Yes there is a difference between FR & AM but in NJ it's a fine line as there is not a ton of real FR here. So really he mentioned drops. I've seen guys on 29er HT do them, even 4 plus footers. He didn't mention anything about dirt jumping so a I think a 29er might still work. Lots of people I know that rode BMX, ride 29ers, it works for them.

I'm 1 of the last people on this forum to tell everyone to get a 29er. My go to bike is still my Turner Flux. Best bike I've ever ridden for me. I never once said a 29er is the end all be all or will I ever.

Yes the guy selling the bike is a friend as are a lot of people on this site. But he goes thru bikes like some people underwear so I really don't care if he sells it or not. If it was someone I didn't know I still would have linked the sale. In the end I posted it because I thought it might be a bike for him to take a look at. Did I put a gun to to head & make him buy it? Did I say it's the best bike ever? If he checked it out & liked it he could buy it. If not he could keep looking, couldn't he? Big deal.

Also I'm 1 of the last people on this forum to tell everyone to get a 29er. My go to bike is still my Turner Flux. Best bike I've ever ridden for me. I never once said a 29er is the end all be all or will I ever.

Not exactly sure why such a strong reaction to a simple post. Not that I really care but thought it was a bit over the top.

the evil frames (i'm familiar with the old ones) are awesome. i've watched sydasti do some decent sized stuff on his old one (when he had it). if i had the scratch i'd pick one up, or the trans am.

cotic also makes some nice frames, but if the OP is looking for inexpensive, all these brands definitely run up the cost for just the frame, nevermind the build.

another one which i would look into to keep the cost down, but you'd have to find it used, is the kona five-0 (i think the last year they made them was 2010?). definitely huckworthy and a comfortable fit for trails. i was close to pulling the trigger on one when i ended up buying my brodie. they have a nice geo - shorter chainstay, low BB and somewhere in the 68-69 degree headangle realm.

I think that Evil that sydasti had was mine at one point, haha. He always did some impressive jumps/drops on rides. Haven't been out with him in years but I'm sure he still airs out when he can.

Good point on the Kona's - if FBMrider is looking for a complete for not too much, they might have a good option. Never heard of Cotic - will need to look them up. I will be in VT over the next week - will eye up what the locals are running these days - those guys usually weed out what is good and what isn't pretty quickly.

Wow by the third page i forgot this was my thread, lol... Okay so i got a ton of different brands and type's of frames to look at now and my debit card is crawling its way outta my pocket, so thanks alot everyone i got alot of good info rite now and plenty to choose from. Lets just hope i choose the rite one ;):getsome:

Good list. That Transition TransAM seems like a great frame/bike - I've like the looks of it from the start. I don't know that much from the other brands but like you said being from the North Shore area they will have bikes that can will be huckable.

Agree with FFT on the 29er and 650b "tips". I am not sure how those bikes would be great for freeride use especially on a HT. They have their place and all but some people must have different opinions on what a freeride rig should be able to handle - dropping a 2' log isn't freeride. Hell for some people 6'-8' drops are just for warming up.

That EWR that stb link to looks great too. I have never ridden one but they look solid and I've seens Owner Jay at Ted's house some years ago getting rad on one.

I am not sure what Sinister is up to but I had a couple of Ridges over the years and those things can handle a lot. I brought my last one up to Vermont some years ago. Was able to put some miles on it but also hit the jumps at the town park. Just swapped a few parts to fit the day. You could always see if FTW could make you one if you can't find a used one.

+1 on Matty's original list, plus the addition of Evil and Sinister. Would also recommend checking out AtomLab's TrailPimp as well (http://www.atomlab.com/mtbframep2.html). Significantly less than Chromags and Transitions, easier to come by than a Sinister, and the company has its roots in BMX, so should have the feel you're looking for. No derailleur hangers, true, but you could pick up a Saint direct mount RD and run it 1X9. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom