Free bike or not???

What should I do with a FREE 2002 Giant Warp DS1

• Keep it, upgrade it with new tech and spend alot of money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

axeman_g

Ok, my friends have found out about my resurected illness known as mountain biking. It seems that every 40yo male in my office has an old bike they want to dump or get rid of. I am thinkin of opening an old bike store... to bad many of them are crap.

But one was not total crap and I want to get y'alls (lived in Ga for 20 yrs so get used to a type drawl) opinion on what to do with this bike, a 2002 Giant Warp DS1

I was looking to get a XC 29er, for commuting on roads and trail work. But if I grab it, I could keep my Scott Sub45 for commuting, use this bike for more complicated riding and use the Monocog for riding with my kids and fun. OR... I could grab it, sell it and use the money towards something nicer along with the proceeds from when I sell the Scott. Or.. dump a ton of money into it and make it a DH wild ride bike. Poll is at bottom and I would appreciate your thoughts.

Poll is at the top BTW.

to answer your question with a question, how much is your time worth? by that i mean, do you WANT to pull these bikes apart, post pictures, deal with shipping, etc.?

for ME, unless someone was handing me a pretty high end ride that i had a fair idea of what the market would bring, i wouldn't bother.

these bikes were only like $800 new, 10 years ago. If it's in working order, ride it the way it is. Save for a new bike and when you have enough, pass this bike on to someone else.

If you're strapped for cash, I'd sell it. You can't expect much, but at the least something like $100-200. Depending on your relationship with your co-worker, let them know your intention cause they may not be happy seeing their bike pop on on CL for sale.

Otherwise, if you have a big garage, I'd just keep it around as a loaner bike or at some point you might run into someone who really needs a bike you can donate to.

Garret @ Kranky Cycles in Highlands (right near Hartshorne) has been taking old bikes and parts and uses them to sell cheap to someone in the area of as a loaner bike. The area he is in seems to have a lot of enthusiastic kids and they look to appreciate any of the help.

For a DS-1, I'd probably try and donate it to a kid that really needs/wants a mtn bike or keep it for a loaner at your house for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom