folding bike tray blocking license plate.

jumpa

folded down with the bikes on it blocks my plates. folded up it blocks my plates. I ride enough during the week to justify having it on the car 90% of the time. I don't drive like a douche bag but what are the chances of me getting a ticket for this?

Could I also get away with scanning my license plate, printing it out, laminating it, putting it in a license frame holder and attaching it to the tray to be seen? Thinking its not like i lost a plate and trying to replace it with a fake. Both plates are still on my car, I'm just helping it be more visible. Super sketchy?

I have had some kind of rack on the rear of my car for the last 8 or so years and probably 3 or 4 tickets over the same period for obstructed plate. What I do now is just purchase duplicate plates. 1up sells a bracket for their racks to hold a plate when the rack is up and blocking. Use this form: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/SPU89.pdf

I've gotten a ticket every single time I've used my rack. Now I put the bike in the hatch.

I ordered a second set of plates way back when the yellow ones came out, thinking I had to replace my blue ones....but in the end, I didn't have to. So, now I keep one of my yellow ones mounted on my rear rack. I fashioned a bracket with some drilled metal and U bolts with locknuts from the hardware store, along with some V-brake washers to serve as spacers. Wrapped a bit of hockey tape around the U bolt to prevent slipping. Pics below. However, if it's just my bike (e.g. not carrying another one), I bung it in the hatch like Jim said.

P2010005_zps7xyrgdc6.jpg

P2010006_zpscem8azrj.jpg

Depends on the cops attitude because there's much easier ways to hide a plate if you were intending to do so.

I think about it this way: If you get pulled over for speeding or some other moving violation, the cop may be nice and scale it back to an obstructed plate instead which is better than a moving violation. (happened to me once already)

I've gotten 2 tickets for my bike rack. But they are a lot cheaper than speeding tickets ;)

I know of a few people who have the spare license plate and it seems to be ok

DO NOT digitally copy the plate and throw it in the rear window. Technically that is a crime. You are forging a government document.

Either get a second set of plates (request a remanufacture of the same plates so you have 4 total), or take the $54 fine like a man.

Back
Top Bottom