Fisher X-Caliber Question

Mr_T

A friend of mine has the opportunity to get a 2009 or 2011. I was told the 09 has been slightly demoed, but in perfect condition. It appears the only significant difference is the 09 comes with the FOX 80mm and the New 11 comes with the Reba; otherwise they are equipped the same. Is this accurate?

Lastly, is there any significant difference within the frame or components over this time frame and which would you choose if they were equally priced, or which would you choose period.

Thanks,

Marc

Will the 09 demo come with warrenty, I don't believe it will. Important question to ask before purchase.

the '09 says wheels and tires are tubeless ready, the wheels that came off my X-Cal needed Stans conversion kit. The frame is probably identical escept for the paint job. The '11 also comes with a c more climbing friendly 11-36T cassette. If they were equally priced I'd go with the new bike, a wee bit more travel up front is a plus. Here's the spec sheets:

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/471

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/29er_race/x_caliber/#/us/en/model/details?url=us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/29er_race/x_caliber

Last edited:
The 2011 frames are sick... its much more than a paint job difference.

They're so cool that im trying to gain like 200 lbs so i have a chance of breaking my 09 frame and doing the upgrade under warranty.

The 2011 frames are sick... its much more than a paint job difference.

They're so cool that im trying to gain like 200 lbs so i have a chance of breaking my 09 frame and doing the upgrade under warranty.

meant geo wise they're almost identical, the 2011 is the bike to get

I have the 09 and really like it. The Fox fork is adjustable to 100mm. I did that conversion not too long ago.

Your differences are:

Front Derailleur (09 has x9, 11 has x7)
Crank (09 has Shimano M521, 11 has SRAM S100)
Reba vs. Fox
Rear Cog ratio
Different wheels (09 is all bontrager, 11 is shimano/bontrager mix)
Paint
9 speed (09) vs 10 speed (11)

The frame is a little different. I know the 09 is a 6066 aluminum, all I know about the 11 is their "alpha black" info.

I can't speak much about the '11, but if the 09 demo is still available and they're going to save you a lot of coin and give you the warranty, its a good deal. I'm a really big guy (250+lbs) and it has handled me like a champ.

I have the '09 and love it, but I'd get the '11 in your situation. Betcha it weighs less too. I am a little smaller (185 and 5'10") and its a lot of bike to throw around...dude at the LBS yesterday was talking up that new frame like it was some sort of futuristic thing. We discussed frame replacement under warranty and he was talking about the head tube differences....so...if you replace a cracked 09 frame, you gotta buy a new fork. (thankfully I didn't need to)

given all this, if you can save a bundle and get a warranty, go '09, otherwise go '11

I bought the x-caliber over the scott scale 29er just because of the Fox. Otherwise, the Scott looked cooler and I liked the bike tech better at that shop. But all of that is just preference.

Again, I'm a hoss and the fox has no trouble with me

Yeah...but that alone...do you go with the 2009 (Fox) vs. 2011 (Reba), I don't know about the warrantee.

The price and warranty are going to be the real decision makers. If the 2009 has a frame warranty and the price is real good, there is no reason not to buy it. Having no warranty is an absolute deal breaker. I have been through a cracked Fisher frame already and the warranty got me a new 2011.
If the price is the same and still a warranty, maybe the components push you towards the 2009. I'm not sure but I want to say that the 2011 frames are probably stiffer even if its 6066 vs 6061. The Paragon frame, which is one step up from the X-cal is much different with the tapered headtube and the BB95, but this is not the case on the X-cal.

Back
Top Bottom