Dusting off at 44

Thanks. I was debating if I should put the spoke noise makers on. Lol. I was so excited to put it all together I didn't notice them.

Leave the reflectors on. They annoy some and look kewl. Patriot's Path into Lewis Morris is a great refresher course back into the wonderful world of mountain biking. Great bike , good luck.

Welcome to the spot! That 29er will be good to go at most parks. Another good way to check out Allaire is to hit up the Tues. Beginner rides. We meet at the Hospital Rd parking lot, at 6pm. Hope to see you on the trails.

Welcome to the spot! That 29er will be good to go at most parks. Another good way to check out Allaire is to hit up the Tues. Beginner rides. We meet at the Hospital Rd parking lot, at 6pm. Hope to see you on the trails.

Thanks for the welcome. Allaire is in the list but a bit far for me on a weekday. Maybe will take a day off to make it one day.

So how was Lewis Morris? That is on my list of places to try as well. I have not biked since 1999 and just started back up. So far I have ridden Alpine NJ, Chimney Rock, 6 miles (favorite so far), and Mt Snow VT. My wife just started riding and several people said I should try Lewis Morris next.

So a few weeks and some test rides, and a lot of reading I ended with with a Giant thanks to the suggestion of Mike_243 (I'm Mike too). I decided to go for it all as this is probably the last bike I'll be buying in a long time.
Now I'm ready to get out there and get it dirty. I've read about the Tuesday beginner rides and hope to make that sometime soon, but living in North NJ the trip is pretty far to do after work. Anyone willing to do a ride this Saturday morning at Lewis Morris or somewhere around the area with easier trails? I will warn you, its been a long time since I have rode, so it may be a quick ride for me.

Last edited:
I opted to go to 6 Mile as I heard that LM was hilly, I'm glad I did as I am so out of cardio shape. I had a great time, had a few scary moments, like when my handle bar clipped the side of a tree going through, but all good and no injuries.

I do have to do something about my brakes, I have the Elixir 3's which I have been reading are horrible with the noise they make. I know they saved me from being run over on Saturday as the on coming group probably heard me from 100 yards away, that and a little bell which I put on as suggested here.

6 miles is a great spot, def my favorite spot so far. I messed up my knee on my dirt bike so I can't ride for a bit, as soon as I am back up the plan is to hit Lewis M.
As for your brakes I have the Elixir R's and they are pretty quiet, not sure what the difference is between the two. My wife has Stoker Trails and they are super loud!
I like the idea of the bell, can get tricky when guys come at you

I opted to go to 6 Mile as I heard that LM was hilly, I'm glad I did as I am so out of cardio shape. I had a great time, had a few scary moments, like when my handle bar clipped the side of a tree going through, but all good and no injuries.

I do have to do something about my brakes, I have the Elixir 3's which I have been reading are horrible with the noise they make. I know they saved me from being run over on Saturday as the on coming group probably heard me from 100 yards away, that and a little bell which I put on as suggested here.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum for some great advice and to those friendly faces I've seen on the trails. While I didn't get to meet anyone in person I'm sure I've past a few at 6 mile and at my 1 ride at LM. I'm hanging up the bike for the season as I'm getting a SLAP tear repair on my right shoulder Wednesday, this will be my 2 time around so I'm bummed. Seems a few people are going through the same right now as well.

I will have to say in a few short weeks I went from barely able to ride 2 miles w/o feeling like I was going to faint, my last ride I did 6mile blue to red and the the road back with no problem as a good pace. I'm looking forward to getting back next summer when I get the all clear from the surgeon.

While I have 2 good hands, besides cleaning the bike anything I should do before it sits for a few months (it's a Giant Antham X advance)? Anything special to do on the tubeless set up?

Look forward to getting out again and picking up where I left off.

quick heal - if you've been following some of the other posts, there are a few of us here with shoulder repairs. since it is your second time around, you know what it takes.

keep up your cardio with walking and stairs! You've got this, you have started it, don't let it slip. NO EXCUSES.

Looking forward to riding with you in the spring!

cheers
Pat

Back
Top Bottom