Recovery is the new Black (The Sober Thread)

I went to a bar in Philly (Manayunk) aptly named Volstead (from the prohibition days). It's a zero proof bar with a huge selection of non alcoholic beers, wines, and spirits. They hire those in recovery and returning from incarceration. I thought it was a great concept. I had a beer and my wife had a wine. We didn't try any of the mixed drinks. Food was pretty good. Felt like a regular night out, without the poor sleep and morning hangover.
PXL_20230219_215449197.jpg

I stopped drinking over a year ago and haven't looked back nor have the desire to take even a sip. I still go out with friends and thankfully they're all understanding of me not drinking and don't give me a hard time about it. They'll tease me but it's all in fun and no different than us teasing each other about other things.

No alcohol since 2/1. I told myself I would go till 7/7 (MTB Nats Race).

Pretty compelling reason to stay off the sauce, but I do miss the occasional beer. I like to think I’ve learned when I really want a beer vs. when I’m just reaching one out of habit. Also, not having a drink the night after a hard workout really helps with recovery. Once in a while it may be ok, but they will pile up and put you in a hole. I’m curious how much I’ll really be drinking again after 7/7.

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0046.jpeg

No alcohol since 2/1. I told myself I would go till 7/7 (MTB Nats Race).

Pretty compelling reason to stay off the sauce, but I do miss the occasional beer. I like to think I’ve learned when I really want a beer vs. when I’m just reaching one out of habit. Also, not having a drink the night after a hard workout really helps with recovery. Once in a while it may be ok, but they will pile up and put you in a hole. I’m curious how much I’ll really be drinking again after 7/7.

View attachment 216653

View attachment 216652
Your resting HR was quite high
I don't train for anything but a paycheck to be fair and lately lucky to get a single ride in a week. For as long as I kept track I've always showed 40s, currently this week 45 avg. I just assumed this is normal no? I remember getting anxiety when I was in 70s during covid bit everything was off the charts then.

I don't train for anything but a paycheck to be fair and lately lucky to get a single ride in a week. For as long as I kept track I've always showed 40s, currently this week 45 avg. I just assumed this is normal no? I remember getting anxiety when I was in 70s during covid bit everything was off the charts then.

For an athlete like him, 60 was relatively high. That is quite normal for most people.

Everyone is different though.

My max is still 190ish. I just run high.

The point was how much it went down

Last edited:
My max is still 190ish. I just run high.

The point was how much it went down
That's pretty good point, it's not like I was interested in health status when I was guzzling vodka and snorting coke daily 🤣

Sobriety has been a blessing in so many ways and I'm a grateful alcoholic. It's truly changed so much in my present life and made me a much better person husband father and friend.

Any discernable difference in sleep quality?
I’m a terrible / light sleeper. Kids always wake me up and I have an awful time falling back asleep.
So the most notable improvement is when I only get ~5 hours of sleep, it’s not that hard to manage.
5 hours of sleep completely sober is fine occasionally. 5 hours of sleep sucks after 2-3 beers and definitely interferes with other aspects of life.

I’m able to stay asleep better since stopping drinking (back in September 2022 when our son was born). My sleep more significantly improved since I quit caffeine - but I don’t recommend that to anyone who is sane.

My old boss was a no alcohol, no caffeine, no sugar guy.

I certainly fail the 2nd two of that. I also am a fantastic sleeper to toot my own horn. I do remember how crappy my sleep was after drinking though so now it's just more consistent.

Probably been discussed but what's the best seltzer maker to try? Seems Soda stream and Drinkmate are most popular

I like the newer soda steam - that you do not have to twist the bottle to load. Very easy and fast.
But didn't they go with a proprietary CO2 canister? Edge for me are Drinkmates that you can carbonate any liquids like juices and not just water.

Back
Top Bottom